Chapter 45: My Shot

Start from the beginning

With happy tears in my eyes, I slid the wedding band onto his finger. 

As I looked up to meet his eyes, the doors of the church slammed open. All eyes turned to the figure in the doorway. 

I gasped, recognizing that evil glint. He pulled out a pistol and fired, too quick for anyone to react. I froze, my eyes focused solely on the blooming area of blood seeping through Lance's tux as he collapsed. I knelt down and took his face in my hands, 

    "Lance! We just promised each other our love and life! You aren't allowed to drop dead without me beside you! I was near hysterical, trying to get some type of response from him. 

Screams erupted from the guests, Brooklyn and Lance's mother came running up, but before I could stop the bleeding or inspect the wound, Vince's arms pulled me back, gripping my waist tightly. 

    "Aww, how convenient. You are already at the altar, dressed, and ready to kiss the groom. I believe we had a ceremony to finish." Bile rose up in my throat as his hands traced the outline of my face. I did the only thing I could think of and kicked him where it hurt the most, with the tip of my heels. He howled in pain and I took the opportunity to go check on Lance, but he was no longer here. Neither were Brooklyn and Lance's mom. 

My dad was crouched behind a pew, furiously gesturing for me to move. I was confused, but I knew my dad, he always had a plan. I ran as fast as I could to the other exit from the church, but before I could pull open the door, I heard a shot ring out, echoing against the emptiness. He shot Dad! I turned around, prepared to see my dad injured, but instead, I saw Lance standing over Vince's body next to the first pew, gun in hand. 

     I ran back to Lance, who heard me approaching and spun around, embracing me in his arms. 

    "I thought you were..." I said, my voice wobbling as I pulled away to inspect where the wound should have been. Instead, I saw a bulletproof vest. What? I was extremely confused at this point and needed some answers, but I needed to make sure everyone was okay first. 

    "Where is everyone else?" I ask as we walk to my dad who has now gotten up from his hiding place. 

    "Outdoor Tent. I know you are confused and want answers, I'll give them to you. But first, let's finish getting married." He says, taking my hand. 

   We head out to the tent that was originally set up for the reception but was being repurposed to accommodate everyone right now. The priest was at the front of the tent, where another carpet had been rolled out. 

   "Now, where were we?" Lance asked the priest, taking my hands in his. 

     "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss each other." Ends the priest, as Lance tucks an escaped strand behind my ear, cups my face, and places an austere kiss on my lips. Our first as one. 

    He pulls away and whispers,  

     "That was for your father's benefit. We'll kiss properly once we are away from prying eyes." I nodded, knowing if the look on my dad's face was anything to go by, he really despised the idea of me growing up. Ah, fathers. 

   We began the recessional to the limos which would take us to the hotel to freshen up or in the bridal party's case, change clothing and makeup. 

     Lance helps me into the limo before shutting the door and taking a seat. Not waiting for him to initiate anything, I turned to the side and kissed him properly, my fingers in his hair. He responded, cradling my head. Sadly, the hotel was a street over and my appearance wasn't going to magically change. We exited the limo, where Brooklyn was waiting, ready to drag me off again. 

    "See you in an hour, Mr. Fields." I playfully exclaimed, heading towards the elevators. 

  "Likewise, Mrs. Wellington-Fields." He replied, a crooked smile plastered on his face. 

~~2 hours later...

      "And now we welcome, the couple of the evening! Mr. Lance Fields and Mrs. Vanessa Wellington-Fields!" The DJ announced as we walked into the ballroom. 

   I was wearing a light turquoise evening gown while Lance wore his tux and a matching bow tie. 

"And now...here is the duo having their first dance..." The DJ trailed off, playing one of our songs, I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz.

    With Lance's hands on my hips and my arms around his neck, we danced. I may have stepped on his toes a few times, but he just shrugged it off, twirling me around at the end. We heard claps, whistles, and a few chants for a kiss. Blushing, we walked to our seats on the stage. 

     "And now for the father-daughter dance of the evening." 

   I stepped down the stage and went to where my dad was sitting, taking his hand. As I Loved Her First played through the speakers, I saw tears pool in my dad's eyes. As the song faded away, he leaned in and whispered, 

     "I'm sorry I never expressed my love to you. I love you and I'm proud of you honey. Don't turn into your mother and me." With that, I walked him back to his seat and walked back to mine. Tears built up in my eyes and I rapidly blinked them away, not wanting to smear Brooklyn's masterpiece. 

      Lance walked over to his mom and they danced to a song I didn't know the name of, but they looked like they were having fun, which was all that mattered. 

    When Lance came back to our seats, he leaned over and asked, 

    "Do you wanna dance until you can't dance anymore?" 

    "Yup!" 

   With that, we both stepped down to the dance floor and danced like there was no tomorrow. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

Hey y'all! 

One more chapter to go! It will be up before midnight!

Did you all think that Vince was dead? Do you think he died this time? 

*insert devil emoji* I love keeping you all on your toes!

Don't forget to share, comment, and VOTE!

That's all for now! :)