"Yeah. I really don't care." I interrupt, disgusted at the story he's trying to tell. "I meant poor her for having to deal with you for months." I snap and take a step towards the doorway. He blocks my path.

"Don't pretend you don't care, bambina. I can tell that you do." He lifts my chin so I'm looking him in the face. "Such beautiful expressive eyes you have..."

I yank my face out of his grasp. "I don't care. Really." I really wish that was the whole truth, but you never quite get over your first love. No matter how badly you were treated.

"Bullshit. How many times do I have to apologize for putting the hurt in your eyes, bambola?"

Doll. I scoff to myself. He acts as if I don't know Italian, so complimenting me in it will make me melt. Hardly.

"Once or twice every time you visit your momma. "I take another step towards the kitchen, he takes another step towards me.

"Well then, again, I'm sorry, bella." He steps even closer to me. I put my hands on his chest to stop him from coming closer, but only succeed in weakening my defenses.

He tilts his head closer to me so his breath pans my face. "Why do you keep running from this?" He whispers.

"I don't have time for a relationship, and you hurt me." I repeat, begging my body to listen to my mind. She's screaming 'run away' for a reason.

His arms circle my waist, and I'm done for. Defenses collapsed. "I'm sorry. We don't need a relationship, I just want to be with you." He murmurs, his face hovering close to mine. "Remember how good we felt? It was so easy with us."

He's right. A voice inside me says.

"I don't think I can do this again." I whisper, my lips brushing against his as I talk. "You hurt me."

"I will never hurt you." He answers, pressing himself against me and capturing my lips with his. "Merda. You taste so good." He kisses me again.

(kinda mature content here)

Suddenly I'm transported back two years to the restaurant I work at. I open the door to the supply room to see him in there, with my red headed coworker on her knees, him inside her mouth. "Fuck, you taste so good." She whispers, pulling away for a second. I'm transfixed on the scene playing in front of my eyes. In shock. They don't notice me. He groaned my name as he came, and I could tell he was drunk and didn't realize the difference between us. My heart broke into pieces that day and I quit my job, never stepping foot in there again, and never returned his calls to apologize. 

(done)

I push him away from me. "Tony, I can't."

He looks at me and pants for air. "I'm confused."

"i-I can't do this again. I'm sorry. I can't trust you anymore." I wipe off my lips as I step back.

"I apologized, why won't you accept that?"

"We weren't that good." I find the words spilling out of me. "We were better off as friends, and I think we both know that..." Why do I always fall for the f-boys that don't care how they treat you?

"Kasei..."

"No. Antonio, this is never going to happen." I step around him, trying to calm my thoughts as the door opens and more family spills in.

Pregnant Josephina, her husband Angelo, and their adorable daughter, Tia Angelina come rushing in and the thoughts of boys rush out of my head.

"Auntie K!" The two year old dashes towards me and launches herself into my arms as I kneel.

"Angel, sweetheart." I give her a huge hug back, tickling her sides as she giggles. "How's your day?"

She wriggles out of my arms, proclaiming: "look at my shoes!"

"Wow!" I gasp. "Take off your pretty shoes quick, princess! Then you can go see gramma in the kitchen!" She erupts with squeals again and dashes to the kitchen to find Em.

"Joey!" I stand. "And how're you doing?" I pull her in for a side hug.

"I'm good, I feel like a whale already, but ay! I'm here."

"Yeah, damn mama! Look at you, I thought you were 4 months!" I gush, staring at her swollen belly.

"I was going to save the news." She whispers, leaning in. "But it's twins!"

"Ooh!" I squeal, absorbing her enthusiasm. "Double the trouble, double the fun."

"Double the work, too." Josephina giggles. "But we're excited."

Angelo pops in between us, pulling me into a quick side hug as well. "We are indeed, no matter how whale-like my gorgeous bride feels." He kisses her head.

"Congrats to you too." I elbow him. "You get her everything she wants, okay? Even the weird stuff."

He nods. "Of course. It's good to see you but I have to go find..."

"Antonio is in the dining room." I interrupt, trying to hide my annoyance with him. Not well enough, apparently, as I catch Josephina's frown as he leaves.

"What did that stupido younger brother of mine do to you this time?" She huffs.

"Oh, psh." I blow air through my lips and paste on a wide smile. "Nothing. Just not a fan." I chuckle. "So, since we're spilling secrets today, I'm about to be renting out a house with Dakota that's much closer to you!"

"Really!" She squeals.

"Yeah, so I better be on that list of babysitters!"

She squeals again. "Of course, you're family and you were a life -and marriage- saver with Tia. Have you gotten a job yet?"

"Yeah, at a diner called Joanie's in the city." I grin. "I've been working there a couple days so far and I'm loving it."

She grins wide. "I will for sure pop in sometime." The doorbell rings, and she backs away. "You go greet these guys, I gotta go say hi to Momma or she'll have my tail! Talk later, love." She heads towards the kitchen.

"Hey!" I greet the couple as I swing the door wide open, accepting the flowers Marco has outstretched to me.

"Hey! Good to see ya, kid!" Marco pulls me into a quick hug before heading off to find Tony and Angelo, leaving Rosa to hang up their jackets.

"How've you been, Rosa?" I grab her in a warm hug as well.

"I've been good." Rosa says shyly. "Still in ballet?"

I chuckle. "Always, and you? Still a secretary for that big firm?"

"Yeah, I'm enjoying it but we'll see. The boss is kind of a dick, so."

"Oop." I snort. "That's never fun."

"And you? Do you have a job?"

"Yeah! Got a job at a diner in the city! Probably just temporary until I get into school, but I've been really enjoying it." I chuckle as we head into the kitchen. "Anything else I can help with, Em?"

"No, no it is all done." Emmaline claps her hands once for our attention. "Everybody to the dining room! Let's eat!"

______________________________-

Vote, comment, share if you enjoy!

Cassi 

*images at the top are from pinterest, depict an image in my head while I wrote, are not 100% accurate to the story*