Assholes

Chapter 30 - Assholes

KARINA HART

Kari looked at the phone for what seemed like the hundredth time.

She had been holed up in her room eating her ice cream since the call. She'd just come home from the hospital and all she wanted was to jump on the bed and go to sleep.

She had gotten the call somewhere around 5 in the evening.

She knew it was him. She knew it.

When Logan had told her that she was coming back home with them she had fought with all of them. When Zach refused to meet her, she had landed on his porch only to find the cabin empty.

Zach had went back to the city.

The very next day her bag of clothes arrived and she knew Zach was done with her.

When she tried calling him, his number was disconnected.

The phone call she had received around three hours ago, was Zach. She knew it.

Kari went back to her love that never let her down. A tub of Ben and Jerry. It always lifted her mood and right now even if it did make her feel a tad bit better, the fact that Zach hadn't called her back, put her in a dark mood.

What was his problem?

She knew it had something to do with the fact that he killed Stan that day right in front of her.

"Hey couch potato, what's up?"

Kari shrieked at that and tossed her Ben and Jerry in the air as she jumped in fright.

Sydney doubled over laughing as Kari pressed a hand to her heart.

"What the hell?"

"I told you not to do that!"

The mother hen was here and Kari sighed knowing that she was in for one big lecture.

"Whatever it is you wanna say, save it."

"Listen here, you bitch. As I've repeated time and time again, my hormones are all over the place and I don't want anymore of your arrogance right now. So sit your ass down and shut your mouth because you will keep it shut until I'm done."

A clap sounded at the door and Kari looked over to see Tessa standing there.

"You're gonna make a great mother. Look at you."

Lexi smiled at Tess and then turned her glare back on towards Kari.

"Look ladies I haven't had a night's sleep. Just let me sulk and sleep."

Tess walked up to her. "Look here missy, my husbands back there while I am here. Zach's in bad shape and Dave said he can't leave him like that."

"We ladies fight for our men."

"Except mine was an asshole." Tess rolled her eyes.

"Mine was too." Sydney added and Lexi snorted.

"All of them are assholes but that doesn't mean we leave them behind. We brought you back here because Zach needed his space. A week would've been fine. I was expecting you to be over there by now already. But then Syd says you're still here and I'm just plain confused."

"He shut me out."

"He loves you and wants to spare you the horror, blah blah blah. He needs to get over it."

Sydney chuckled, "You should've seen Lexi when she wasn't a grumpy ass. She literally walked up to him and slapped him hard. And then pulled everything together."

"You want me to slap him?"

"Yes." All the ladies said together.

"Have you seen him? He's so freaking tall. And he has nice reflex."

"Not if you catch him by surprise."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean get your ass up start packing and get back to your man. Gosh lady for a doctor you sure are dumb."

Kari stuck her tongue out at Lexi.

"He's family, Kari. You never leave your family no matter how far they are or how much they shut you out. You gotta go hard and break those walls down. You love him don't you?"

She nodded and sighed.

"What should I do?"

"C'mon lady think of something yourself. You are a smart, witty woman. You have a way with your tongue. Use it." Sydney paused for a minute ,"That sounded better in my head. Anyways, whichever way you wanna use, go get your man."

"Yeah." Sydney's words kick started her brain and Kari smiled as everything fell into place.

The anxiety and the heartache eased and she smiled.

"I need some help first."

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami