Creepy

Chapter 12 - Creepy

ZACHARY DANVERS

Zach had no idea what was wrong with Kari. It had been two days since she last talked to him and he didn't like the silence at all.

He was busy putting together a sandwich when his phone started to buzz.

Without checking the caller ID he picked up the call.

"Give the phone to Kari." A gruff voice rumbled. He could here the grim tone and he knew something was fucking wrong.

"Who are you?"

"Zachary, give her the phone."

It took him a whole minute to put a face to that voice.

"Logan."

"You're wasting time, Zach."

Zach pursed his lips. "I want in on it too."

Before Logan could protest he brought out his boss voice out. After all he was elder to him. If only he knew...

"I'm putting it on speaker."

He called Kari and she walked in the kitchen, a question on her face.

"Logan." He said and jerked his chin towards the phone he held in his outstretched hand

"What is it?"

"Describe Stanley for me." He ordered

Kari's face went pale. "How do you know his name?"

"When Sydney came to me about your sudden departure, we were kind of worried. She told me you have a brother. Derek and I go way back Kari so he told me to look after you. He said that it was your secret to tell but he told me a short version."

A sob escaped her lips and Zach wound his arm around her waist and pulled her close.

"What the fuck is this Logan?" He growled.

"This is something I got to do." The man snapped and it grated on his nerves.

His voice turned soft and directed towards Kari.

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry but I gotta do this."

She buried her face in his chest and Zach rested his chin on her head.

"I know I could assure you with something like you don't have to do this but this might be important, doll."

She nodded

"Okay." She mumbled and he could see her putting on her big girl persona

"He's tall, muscular, olive complexion. He always keeps his blonde hair tied at the nape."

"Does he have a scar? On the jaw perhaps."

She gasped. "How do you know that?"

 It's him

 They both hear Logan confirm it to someone else that was with him. He switched off the speaker phone and placed it to his ear.

"Tell me." he ordered.

"Still on speaker?" Logan asked and Zach felt a bit of respect for the man looking out for a woman he had barely met.

 "Not anymore"He answered

 "Good. This is something she doesn't need to know."

When Zach answered back with a go ahead

 Logan recited every single thing as if he was giving him a detailed police report.

 "The ladies went out last night. Even though Lexi had got rid of her bodyguard, I continued to pay him to keep an eye on her from distance. Her pregnancy scares the shit outta me. I get a call at 2130 saying that a man entered the club right behind these girls. There was nothing suspicious but he said that something was off about the guy. Stan kept on eye on the ladies for hours, last night. He trailed them from the club. Luckily, Tessa had Cal drive them last night and even Cal found him tailing them.

 Calvin doesn't know who it was but I trust the guy completely. He said that he managed to lose him but this is giving me the creeps, Zach. Keep a close eye on that woman. Don't tell her any of this. I think he plans to lure her back here. If you tell her this, she's going to do exactly what he wants her to do. I have Calvin digging on this guy. You need to come up with something to ease her mind. I know I'm asking you too many favors but will you try to coax her to tell you what happened. We need to know from her perspective and not the police reports. I don't trust them implicitly."

 "I'll try."

 "Thanks Zach. I know you don't owe me and that you don't need to get tangled up in this but she's family now Zach. I protect my family. All I can say is thank you. Thank you, Zachary. You're one fine man."

 With that Logan hung up.

 No need for thanks Logan. Just like you, I protect my family too. Too bad I can never tell you that.

 "Huh?"

 He hadn't even known he had said that out loud

"Nothing."

"What did he say?"

Zach shook his head and smiled.

"Nothing to worry about, sweetheart. They're just keeping an eye for him. It's easy to track down a person and Dave will be the first person Stan would probably approach. All of them need to know who Stan is if they ever encountered him. They got his pics from the cops and just wanted to confirm his identity."

 "Oh." she murmured before taking a step back.

"This is a nightmare. I shouldn't have run. I dragged you all into a mess which has nothing to do with y'all. Especially you."

 "Hey." he whispered softly. Placing his hands on both her shoulders, he leaned down and looked straight in her eyes.

 "I promised you remember. I'll never let anyone hurt you."

 "But what if he hurts you or Dave or Logan or Tessa or anyone else. They're my family now Zach. I can't let anything happen to do them."

"And neither will I let anything happen to them. Trust me. It's just a nightmare. It'll all be over soon. And I'll see to it that my family comes out unharmed."

********

Vote.Comment.

- Nami