Family

Chapter 22 - Family

ZACHARY DANVERS

Kari had been pretty upset after that phone call but she refused to talk about it.

Though she said that she didn't want it to come between them, it was.

She had been distant. It had been hours since Kayla's call and Kari had been lost in thought most of the time. Night had fallen and still the woman was sitting outside in the dark. 

"That's it." Zach snapped as he watched her sitting on the sand for an hour.

Zach grabbed his cell and did something he'd never done before.

"Dude seriously, it's six in the morning."

Apparently they seemed to share the same grouchiness. There was some shuffling and then a door closed.

"Good morning, Logan."

"No. No good morning. Bad morning. Do you know how hard it is to spend a day with a woman grumbling about every single damn thing just because she woke up at six."

"Okay...." Zach trailed not sure what to say to that.

"It's six in the morning. If that woman wakes up, she'll have my head. And gosh, I didn't even know a woman can puke that much. She doesn't like bacon anymore. Who the fuck doesn't like bacon? She puked at the smell of tuna. I can't even have a freaking tuna sandwich from anywhere. And now she has started eating pickles with her sandwich."

Zach chuckled. "You seem to be in bad shape."

"Let me tell you, brother. Don't ever get a woman pregnant. I'm warning you. Get a vasectomy."

"If this is making you go crazy, I wonder what will happen when the baby comes. Then it's a combination of everything you're going through currently mixed with sleep deprivation."

"You don't say." He could imagine Logan rolling his eyes.

Logan sighed, suddenly all serious, "I love that woman and I love the baby already. It's us, you know. I'm ready to go through everything. The only thing I'm upset is about her cravings and her disgust. She hides those things from me, man. I can handle her, trust me. But she hides it from me. I don't know how to get through her."

"All you can do is be there for her. Her hormones are all over the place. She just needs to know you're going to be there for her when she needs you. She probably thinks you hate her what with all the changes with her body."

"The baby was supposed to bring us closer but I feel like it's coming between us."

"Hormones, Logan. Blame it on the hormones. She's just in her first trimester. Her emotions are running wild. She feels everything. Just... be there buddy. She'll come back to you. She needs you even though she doesn't say it."

"How in the hell do you know all this stuff?"

"I went through all of this. Trust me Logan. She needs you."

"Are you telling me you have a kid?"

"What? No. A brother. Lily was pregnant when I was fifteen. But Lily went through some stuff that now makes me sympathetic towards all the single mothers. Take care of Lexi."

"I will. What did you want from me?"

"Yeah, right. Stan. We gotta do something about it. I got a bad feeling."

"Cal said he's got something planned. That he and Kay will take care of it."

"I don't know buddy. Kay called her and mow Kari's closed off. That woman PMSes all the time. She was laughing before the call and we had a bit of moment where she opened up a bit. But then Kay called and she's now sulking."

"Yeah. They're like that. They think they're protecting us but they're hurting us instead of keeping us in the loop. Man, these woman are difficult to understand."

"And it's even more difficult to make them understand."

"Touché." Logan chuckled.

"Logan?" A meek voice came through the phone and Zach knew Lexi was up. He heard some shuffling and a soft muffled voice say  "Sleep baby. I'll be right back."

A door shut and Logan was back on the phone

"I gotta go. Listen, Kay and Calvin are more than capable of taking care of it. Calvin is like Tess's assistant as well as the head of security. That man's fucking fantastic. I've seen him do stuff to this person who was harassing Tessa. Trust me, you do not want to piss him off."

"Are you sure they've got it handled."

"Yeah. Kay said that the guy might come there. Dave's wedding is kinda big news. Since they recently found out that Tess is not just some receptionist working for Lexi but actually was adopted, the reporters aren't leaving them alone. Stan's going to be there. And I got a gut feeling that he might try something on the wedding day."

Zach pinched the bridge of his nose. He had only one choice and though it had saved his life once, he hated doing it.

"Look, I got some contacts here."

"Good or bad."

Zach's silence was enough of an answer for Logan

"What have you planned?" Logan asked warily.

"Logan, Stan's hurt her a lot. Physically, I mean. Mentally, I don't think he could break her. But man, it's worse than I've ever seen."

"So?"

"It's good if you all stay out once we catch him. I'm going to see it that the man atleast suffers a bit before he dies."

"Whoa, who said about killing?"

"I did. If he steps foot here, that man's as good as dead."

A few moments of silence passed and Zach thought Logan had hung up when he spoke up, " Cal's pretty scary, but you run second."

Zach laughed. "When are you coming here?"

"We'll leave tomorrow night. I wanted to come a bit late but Lexi went ahead and told my pilot that we'll be coming there. Mom and dad will come with us too."

"Oh. Okay. Cool. See you in a few days then."

"Thanks man. I don't know why I blurted all of that to you. It's like all of these people come to me with their complaints and stuff, and it's fine. i listen to them. Now with Tess's wedding coming up, I didn't want to impose with all of the things going on you know. I guess my stress just kept piling up."

"It's fine."For the first time, Zach felt like a part f the Hunt's family. For the first time, he felt like the older brother that he was. "We're family, right."

He could definitely here Logan's smile when he said "Yeah, we're family."

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami