Not A Game

Chapter 27 - Not A Game

KARINA HART

"We've got a problem?" She heard Calvin say.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm saying I'm getting a bad feeling about some of the guys here. Like that one, who's leaning against the wall. You see his ankle."

Kari didn't even know where to look.

"Armed." Kayla replied sighing.

"Yes. And the waiter. The one just passed by and the one right there near Cass's table."

"Nice observation." Kari murmured because she didn't know who the he'll they were even talking about.

There were like hundreds of waiter milling around.

"That woman in cocktail dress."

"Suspicious, keeps looking around." Calvin nodded at Kayla.

Kari couldn't take it anymore, "Oh my god stop. Zach asked a few security here. They are here as guests."

"Honey," Calvin touched her hand on the table.

"This is something else. I'm getting all jumpy."

"Ladies." She heard the familiar voice and didn't have to turn to know that her boss was walking his bride over to their table.

"I'm not a lady." Cal argued.

"Yeah. Sure." Dave said wryly and Cal just shot a look at Dave. Kari just laughed at their banter.

Cal and Kayla went back to picking out the people who looked out of place.

"What the fuck are you doing? Stop giving those looks. You look crazy." Tess frowned at Cal.

"There's something wrong here."

"There's nothing... hey Zach." Tess grinned.

Kari looked over Calvin's shoulder to see him walking over to their table.

Though Kari would've loved nothing but to jump in his arms and dance until her feet bled, she recoiled in her seat the moment she saw his expression.

His brows were slashed down, his lips pursed in a straight line and the look in his eyes... it reminded her of Stan.

When his eyes turned on her she flinched.

His eyes softened immediately and he offered a small smile.

"Paul." Dave's enthusiastic shout caught her attention and that's when she saw the man standing behind Zach.

"Congratulations David."

If Stan was danger, this man was pure evil.

The man probably was in his sixties with salt and pepper hair.

His blue eyes were menacing and cold as ice as he looked and measured every single person around.

He walked over to Dave and went down on one knee near Tessa's chair.

"You look lovely, my dear." He took her hand and kissed the back of her hand.

"What's your name again?" Calvin's voice pulled her out of her thoughts.

"What's in a name, son?" He said as he tilted his head to the side and smiled.

"Paul !" Zach said with a warning tone.

He sighed. "You know I hate military."

His Australian accent was quite heavy as he spoke, his voice gruff and sent shiver down her spine.

"These are your men, aren't they?" Calvin prodded.

"Yes they are. Now just shush and let me handle this." He turned his back on Cal

"Your girl?" Paul asked, his eyes finally landing on her. Kari felt scalded. As if he wasn't just looking at her but deep into her soul, making her feel vulnerable.

Zach placed her hand on her shoulder and she smiled as she felt his lips on her cheek.

"Mine." He mumbled.

When he wrapped his arms around her, as much as he could with the back of the chair between them, she relaxed in his hold.

"Come with me honey."

When she looked back at Paul his eyes no longer had that icy touch. He had tone down the menacing vibe. He actually looked pretty handsome when he smiled at her.

"Go on." Zach nudged her.

She placed her hand in his and he guided her over to the dance floor.

"Who are you?"

"Direct. I like it. I'm Paul. Paul Anderson."

"That doesn't answer my question."

He chuckled. "After everything you've been through, you still got fire in you."

"He told you?"

Paul twirled her than pulled her in again. He looked to it that he didn't pull her quite close.

"He tells me everything." He sighed "Not everything. But I do like to dig my nose in his business."

She pursed her lips.

"I'm his guardian, sweetheart. I'm quite surprised that he didn't tell you about me."

Before Kari could open her mouth he finished "But then looking at your past, I think he did the right thing."

Kari couldn't say anything to him. He was talking in circles. And she was quite confused.

"Do you know about Jack?"

She shook her head. "His mother mentioned but she said that I need to know about him. Who is he?"

"It's his secret. He needs to tell you."

"Now that I think about it, I don't think I actually know him."

"How many years were you with your husband? I'm guessing three."

"Almost." Kari mumbled.

"If you think what you've been through is bad, what Zach's been through is much, much worse. He had been through worse and for much longer period than three."

"Five?" Kari guessed and Paul shook his head.

"Eight?"

"Keep going."

"Ten?"

"Not there yet."

"Fifteen?"

"Almost there."

"Oh my god, this is insane. This is not a game."

"That's exactly why I dragged you here, sweetheart. Before I take this step, I need to know that you love my boy with your whole heart. Because he is ready to give up his life for you. Now I won't let anything happen to him. But I need to know that you'll be waiting at home for him, no matter what."

"I love him. I do. But I'm scared. He is... I don't know if I deserve him."

"That's something you should talk about with your man." He said. Kari knew he was right but chose to ignore that.

"I believe you and for now this is enough." He leaned down and kissed her cheek.

"You are one fine woman, Ms Hart. Take care of my boy."

"I will, Mr. Anderson." She smiled.

With a nod he guided her towards the table where everybody was laughing at something Dave was saying while Calvin and Kayla were nowhere to be seen.

"Shall we?" Zach asked Paul who nodded in return.

"Let's go, son."

*********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami