Thank You

Chapter 9 - Thank You

ZACHARY DANVERS

Zach chanced a glance towards the French windows that led to the porch.
Kari was sitting there, her legs perched on a coffee table, a mug of coffee in her hand.

She'd smiled at him before when they'd passed by in the living room but something was off.

Something was definitely off.

He finished his gumbo as quickly as he could and called her over for lunch.

"You go have yours. I'll be there in a few."

Zach frowned at the detached way she'd said it. As if having lunch separately made complete sense.

It did not. Not. At. All.

Zach couldn't stop his feet and before he knew it, he was standing in front of Kari, his hands on his hips.

"Are you pissed at me?"

"Why would I be?"

Zach frowned at her answer. She refused to make eye contact either.

"Look, I know I wasn't at my best yesterday. I already apologized for it."

"Yes you did." She gave a curt nod.

"So..."

"So?"

Zach scowled, "You're infuriating, you know that?"

"So I've heard"

"The fuck is wrong with you?" Zach asked.

The moment she looked up and locked her gaze on his, he forgot why he was really angry. She had the most beautiful eyes that he'd ever seen. Her eyes were he window to her emotions. Even if her face was impassive, he could see a bit of pain. He sensed her need to withdraw within herself.

 He didn't even remember what he'd said the day before but he was sure he was the one to put that pain in her eyes

"Hey." he said as he lowered himself on the chair beside hers. "I know that I don't really remember what I said yesterday but know that I'd never intentionally hurt you. I'm sorry for whatever it is i said or did."

"You said that already." she said as she averted her eyes from his and looked at the silently lapping ocean in front of her.

"But you don't believe me."

"I believe you. I do. But it doesn't matter when what you said made me think that you're right."

 "What did I say?"

"You just said 'You're not my mom' " she mimicked his gruff voice

"I don't think there's anything wrong with that."

"No. There's not." She said without even looking at him.

"I don't get you. I don't understand what to say or do. Everything I do seems to make you angry. "

"I'm not angry."

"That day you kissed me. I couldn't stop kissing you back because I know I want you too. The next day you say it was a mistake. I didn't like it but I did say it was fine and it pissed you off. Then I left to give you and me some space but even that pissed you off. Now again you're pissed just because I said something when I wasn't even in my right mind."

Kari was silent even after he'd just let it all out and was struggling hard to restrain his frustration. He wanted to just grab her and kiss her senseless.

Kiss her until she agreed that there was something between them.

Kiss her until she agreed that she wanted him too.

"I'm not offended about what you said. Yes I was angry that you went away without letting me know when you'll be back. But later when I thought about it.." She brought the mug back to her lips and finished the coffee.

"I thought about it and I found that you were - are right. I'm not your mom. I'm just a woman that you helped me when I needed. You were there when I was vulnerable at most.

"You just happened to be there. You are a good man, Zachary. A very good man. I don't think anybody else would ever have helped me at that point. But you did and I'm forever in your debt.

"You don't owe me anything since you did everything that you could. He'll, you even put your life on hold and I can't express how I feel about that."

She stood up.

"I just wanted to say..." She sighed "Thank you. Thank you for everything. But you don't have to do this. I know that you won't say anything regarding this but I'm intruding on your life and I have no right to put yours on hold."

"I couldn't leave without telling you about it. I just wanted to say goodbye. I just needed some time to tell you this."

Turning her back on him she slid the French window open and threw a
" I already booked a room in one of the hotels here. Thank you, Mr Danvers. For everything."  Over her shoulder.

Zach was stunned. What could he say after everything she'd just said.

He wanted to scream at the top of his lungs.

He wanted her to intrude on his life. He wanted to see her smile, to have fun and laughter, to live her life. He wanted her to have everything because she was the best thing that'd ever happened to him.

He'd been drowning in work what with handling two companies together. But this vacation he'd taken, this was his decision, damnit!

It was his decision because he wanted it.

Because he wanted her.

He had enough of that. From the beginning he'd taken things slow. Yes let her take the lead but not anymore. For once things were going to go just the way he wanted.

He strode in and walked towards her.
She had just placed her hand on the doorknob when he grabbed her by the elbow and spun her around.

Placing his hands on either side of her head he leaned down, so close that their breaths mingled.

Her eyes widened and a small gasp escaped her oh-so-kissable lips.

Her hands came up and rested on his chest and he was sure she would push him but when she didn't, he took that as a sign and acted on what he wanted to do for a long time.

He kissed her senseless.

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami