Scary

Chapter 29 - Scary

KARINA HART

Karina was sure that her heart was about to jump out of her chest.

When Paul had said that Zach was ready to give his life for her she didn't think he meant it literally.

She knew that idiot man would no doubt go after her asshole husband. But she hoped that she had enough time to change his mind.

When Calvin had crouched down and whispered in her ear about going back to the cabin, she was confused as hell.

The wedding was still going on. There was not a single thing out of place. She had been happy about the absence of her asshole husband.

When Calvin had practically dragged out towards the jeep in the garage, she had stomped her foot and asked for answers.

Zach going after Stan was the last thing she was expecting.

Calvin was swerving like a madman but she wanted to reach there even faster.

She couldn't possibly comprehend what she would do if by any chance Stan killed Zach.

When Cal stopped the car, Kari practically jumped out and ran towards the front door.

She stopped mid run when a loud shriek shook the entire house.

She ran inside to see Kayla lounging on the sofa on her cell phone while Paul was cooking something in the kitchen.

"What the fuck is going on?" She exploded.

"These people are party poopers." Kayla murmured and went back to her cell phone.

"Honey, come here and taste this."

Kayla sighed but walked over to the kitchen.

Another loud groan came from upstairs and Kari all but tried to run towards the stairs but Cal pulled her back.

"Who brought you here?"

"Zach texted me." Calvin answered while she struggled in her hold.

"She shouldn't be here. In fact Ms. Summers shouldn't be here either. For all that big talks, I don't think you've seen this in real life."

"I've seen enough, Anderson."

Paul shook his head and looked back at Kari.

"Come here, darling."

Another muffled groan came from upstairs.

"He needs us." Kari urged

"Stanley doesn't need us. But we do need a little pinch of salt in that." Kayla suggested and Paul went back to cooking.

Suddenly hurried footsteps caught her attention and she ran back but stopped before she could even reach the stairs.

A man, or what looked like a man came tumbling down the stairs.

"Kari." He gasped.

His voice wasn't even recognizable but she knew it was Stan.

Stan looked like somebody had used him as a punching bag. He had welts on his body as if somebody had gone crazy with a whip. Blood oozed out of the slashes the covered his body and his face. He stumbled as he tried to stand up but ended up on his hands and knees and a loud shriek escaped his lips.

"I'm so sorry Kari."

"Your apologies mean nothing." A loud voice boomed from upstairs as Zach took his sweet time taking one stair at a time. His naked torso was covered in blood but he didn't seem injured.

His hair was wet with sweat but what scared her was the look in his eyes.

His once compassion filled eyes were now dead. When he looked at her she hoped his eyes would soften and he'd smile.

But the smile never came.

In fact he just kept staring in her eyes.

"You wanted me to tell her, didn't you Paul?"

"Not like this son. She doesn't deserve this."

"She needs to see for what I am. She was scared of Stan, Paul. We both know Stan's a lowlife that could only intimidate her. I'm much worse, ain't I?"

This wasn't her Zach. Her Zach was a sweet, caring gentleman who loved her. And she knew that he still loved her.

He thought he was showing her his real self. But she knew that the man she'd spend weeks with was the real Zach. Her Zach.

She wasn't scared of him. As scary as he looked at that moment, she knew Zach would go to lengths to protect her.

He would rather kill himself than hurt her. For all that blood on his body and slacks, he was still the good person she believed him to be.

He kept his eyes on her. She kept searching for a glimpse of her Zach and she saw it when he hesitated before raising his arm, a gun clutched in his hand and pointed it at Stan who was balled up at her feet.

Even when he shot Stan, he kept his eyes on her and she didn't even flinch.
"Bulls eye." Kayla squealed but Kari kept her eyes on Zach.

She knew Stan was dead. She heard Paul calling a cleaning crew or something like that.

She expected Zach to walk the rest of the distance and hold her. Hug her and tell her that everything would be fine. That no one would hurt her, ever.

She didn't expect him to turn his back on her and then leave the room.

Paul cursed and went after him.

Kari didn't even know when she fell to her knees.

"Kari!" Somebody was calling her.

She wanted to see who it was but a sudden calm spread through her body.

She didn't even knew that she had fell until she saw faces in front of her, peering at her from above.

Zach. He was there too.

He'd come back for her.

Or so she thought.

She was losing consciousness but she would never forget that his last words were

"Take her away."

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami