A Mess

Chapter 30 - A Mess

ZACHARY DANVERS

Zach hadn't seen the light of day for over a month.

It was already night and Zach felt like a machine.

Everyday he'd wake up and find his bed empty. Kari wasn't there. He knew that she'd be scared of him if she knew what he really was.

All he knew was she was scared of him. It was clear in that wide eyed look of hers.

When she fainted, Zach couldn't take it anymore.

He couldn't bear seeing the fear in her eyes. Especially if he was the source of that fear.

He had done exactly what her now dead husband had done. Killed a man in front of her. Right in front of her.

When Stanley had opened his eyes, images had flashed in his mind faster than the bullet train. Images of Kari helpless and bruised and broken.
He couldn't help himself he'd gone all kinds of crazy.

When Stanley had fainted with the pain from the whip he'd acquired from the duffel, Zach had sat back for a moment and was horrified.

He knew that he'd promised himself not to go there ever again. But there he was. Holding a gun and a whip and torturing the man tied to a chair.

He had loosened the ties and sat back. He was going to let him go. Zach wanted Stan to stay alive. He wanted that man to look over his shoulder every single time he'd even think of taking a step out of the door.

Zach wanted the man to live like a tortured man just as Kari had lived all these years.

And that's when he realised that he was nothing like Stan. He was worse. Much much worse and Kari deserved more.

Zach didn't have a record yet since Paul had seen to it that Zach wouldn't be ever dragged into the gang wars or any other crime.

"I want you to be something I never could. I want you to be a good man. Be successful and not fall in my line of work." Paul had said.

Zach felt empty. He was successful. Zach had come a long way only to end up alone and wasn't that a pathetic way to live.

Jack must be laughing his ass of he knew that Zach had ended up just like his father.

He was a successful businessman, and the woman he loved had left him.

Like father, like son.

Walking over to his desk, he grabbed the phone and ran a hand down his face.

He went through his contacts and paused at Kari's number.

His finger hovered over her name and before he knew it he had placed a call to her.

Placing the phone to his ear he let the call go through.

He had managed to call her a number of times but ended up cutting the call before it would go through.

"Hello."

The familiar voice created an ache in his chest.

"Hello?" She said again

Zach pressed his lips and stayed quiet. All he wanted was to hear her voice.

"Zach? Is that you?" She asked softly.

He wanted to say yes. He wanted to scream but nothing escaped his lips. It felt as if somebody had taken away his voice.

"I know it's you." She replied again.

Zach had changed numbers the day after she'd left for home.

Her home. Back in the United States.

"Babe. Talk to me." She whispered and he couldn't take it.

He cut the call and flung the phone at the wall with all his might

He watched the phone hit the wall and smash to pieces.

Why did he even bother to call her?

She wasn't his. And she didn't deserve him. Though Zach had changed, inside he was the same man.

He was same as Stan and nothing had changed.

Zach sat there on the couch in his office and screamed. He knew that the building was practically empty. So he screamed.

He screamed and smashed everything in his office

He screamed until his voice was raw.

He broke everything until the room was exactly how he felt inside.

Shattered and a mess.

He could've just let Paul handle the son of a bitch. But she was his. His Kari.

She was his and didn't fucking matter.

All that mattered was she was safe and sound in her home and there was nothing that would hurt her.

Zach slid down the wall of his office. Resting his head back he closed his eyes.

And smiled.

Smiled at all the memories they'd shared.

"Whoa, What happened, here?"

The familiar voice caught his attention and he whipped his head towards the door to see his best friend standing inside.

He was so into his thoughts that he didn't even hear him enter.

"Nothing." Zach replied.

"Talk to me buddy."

"I don't deserve this, Dave."

"Yes, you don't. You deserve more. Much more."

Silence spread between them and they both knew no matter what Dave said, Zach had made his mind up already.

Dave pushed a bottle of Grey Goose in his hands and Zach took a swig.

"Easy there man."

"I lost her man."

"You pushed her away. It's your fault."

"You're right it's my fault."

Dave didn't reply.

They both sat there drinking out of their own bottles.

Zach was feeling light. Within minutes everything started moving and Zach knew he was drunk.

And a drunk Zach wouldn't be any better than a grumpy sober one.

Zach tested his head on Dave's shoulder.

His emotions were all over the place. And Zach had no control over them.

He finally gave into the urge.

Zach sat there with Dave and cried his heart out.

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami