Secret

Chapter 23 - Secret

KARINA HART

 Karina was swinging back and forth on the hammock of Dave's beach house. She looked at the beach meters away from her. Logan and Lexi strolled along the beach holding hands. Lexi would soon show and luckily, Tess had agreed to push the wedding up. The girl was ready to elope to Vegas and get it over with but Cassandra just shook her head and that was it.

Nobody went beyond Cassandra's word.

Sydney, Sean and Kay, Calvin had paired and played chicken in the water.

Kari loved seeing them have fun. 

"Miss me, darling?" a familiar voice drawled and she smiled at the endearment.

"Of course, my dear." She turned and smiled when she saw him stand behind her in casual wear. "Aren't you a sight for the sore eyes?" she said as she looked at Daniel from head to toe.

"So?" he asked, spreading both his arms wide and moving in a circle.

"You look... different."

"Good or bad?"

"Definitely..." she trailed off

"Oh c'mon" he groaned and she laughed.

"Good. Really good." He dropped his arms and sighed.

"And here i was hoping for something better than good. Something like... sexy?" He said and waggled her eyebrows at her.

 She shook her head. "You're incorrigible."

"I try." he shrugged while walking over and sat down beside her. They both looked at the water. More like the couples having fun in the water.

"What happened to the suits?"

"Wanted to go casual this time." he answered

"So what's up with you?" he asked

"Um, nothing much. Husband escaping prison to kill me, so I'm here hiding from him. One of my friend's getting married but I'm scared he might ruin it. My current boyfriend has taken upon himself to see to it that I'm protected from a person who killed people without hesitation. And I'm scared that one day he'll wake up and just know I'm not worth it while I'm head over heels in love with him. Besides that I'm just fine."

"Whoa. That's a lot to take in."

"Yeah. So what's up with you?"

"Nothing as interesting as you. I'm just here for the wedding."

"Isn't it hard to attend an ex's wedding?"

"I loved Tessa. She's strong, intelligent and sassy. But I don't think I loved her the way Dave does. I guess, I saw Logan and Lexi at their wedding and I wanted that, you know. So I tried with Tessa but she loved Dave a little too much."

"Yeah, but you were in relationship with her, weren't you?"Kari reasoned.

"I was. And I'm pretty sure Dave invited me to rub it in my face but I'm fine. In fact I'm here early to put this behind us. Besides, it's not like me and Tess slept together. I mean, we did but all we did was cuddle while she cried. I was more like a best friend than a boyfriend. We made out a couple of times but no sex."

"That's shocking."

"It is."

They sat there silently until Cassandra called everyone in for lunch.

"So who's this new boyfriend of yours?" Dan asked as they walked in the french doors.

Kari was just about to answer him when Zach walked up to her. Palming her nape he pulled her in and kissed her. Possessiveness rolled off of him.

Beside them, Dan chuckled.

Zach pulled back but didn't let her go. He slid his arm around her waist and kept her close. "Easy, babe." she murmured placing her hand on his rock hard chest. Damn but she loved the feel of his muscles under her hand.

They walked over to the table that Zach had set up. Well, he'd called a few people and had arranged for a table for fifteen people.

George Hunt sat at the head with Cassandra on his right and Logan to his left. Lexi sat beside her husband. Everybody took each chair and Zach saw to it that he sat to the far side of the table. Kari understood what he was going through. She took a seat beside him.

"You can sit with the other bridesmaids." he suggested

"Nah. I like it here much better." She smiled wickedly and caressed his bare foot with her toes "Plus, I'm having plenty fun."

Zach's hands froze in air as her caresses went up  and almost to his calf. Cassandra clinked her glass. Kari pulled her feet back with a smirk. He breathed a sigh of relief at that and reached for a glass of water in front of him.

"As much as I don't like that you guys pushed the date up, I'm happy you're not eloping. And take this as a warning, none of my sons are eloping." She looked at Zach and he choked on water. "I repeat, none of my sons." she said. Kari patted his back and Cass's eyes met hers. She shook her head a little and mouthed  Please don't.

Cassandra smiled and turned back to Dave and Tess "The dresses are here and I hope Zachary and David are almost done with the arrangement. "

Kari frowned. She hadn't seen the man leave the house even once. How in the hell did he manage it?

"So all we are left with is the cake and the flowers and the food."

"And the bachelorette party." Sydney added.

"Oh I've got that covered, girl." Kay replied around a mouthful of steak.

"Without me?" Syd pouted.

"Don't worry. I'm not completely done yet."

That got Sydney happy. A chatter flowed throughout the table and once everybody had licked their plates clean, George's loud voice boomed as he said, "Stay seated please. I have something to say."

George looked down the table and locked eyes with Zach. A heavy silence spread throughout and Zach slowly stood up as if he knew what George was about to say.

"This is the first time I have everyone of you here without someone or the other leaving early as if their ass is on fire. But now that I have you all here, I need to get this off my chest."

Zach shook his head, "No. No, no, no, no." he said shaking his head frantically.

"You're way past thirty and it's time."

"Oh no. No. No."

He turned his head to look at Cass but she just stayed silent.

Kari couldn't help but stand.

"I'm not feeling so good. Maybe some other time, Mr. Hunt?"

George pinned her with his sharp gaze. She wanted to back down but she didn't. This was for Zach. If he wanted to keep a secret, then she'll do her damndest to keep it a secret."

"I'm not going to sit here and listen to this. I'm leaving."

"Zach, stop. This is hard on your mother. And I can't take it anymore. They have to know. Your mother wants them to know."

"If mom wants them to know, she can tell them but not when I'm in the same room as them."

With that said Zach left the room. A grim silence spread throughout the room until Sydney couldn't take it anymore.

"Oh for god's sake, just tell them." Syd groaned.

"Zachary is my son." Cassandra murmured

And all hell broke lose.

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami