goodbye from lonely.

by superfruit

***

and it knocks me off my feet

i'm coming apart and i can't breathe

oh, every part of me

was tethered to what we used to be

The air tastes bittersweet, pricks his skin like thin needles and smears the blood. Everything feels thick, heavy, a weight compressing his chest and everything within it – ribs, lungs, heart. It hurts.

"I just...I don't think we're working out, Scott." A wide smile, dimples indenting rose-tinted cheeks. He reminds him of a flower, beautiful and blossomed and smelling like vanilla and adventure. "As common a name as it sounds, I don't think I've yet to meet a Scott; it's a pleasure."

The brunette's hand feels soft beneath his fingertips, and the blond presses a sweet kiss to the ink-darkened skin if only for the honeysuckle giggle he received in response.

"The pleasure is all mine."

A kiss is being pressed to his lips, thin fingers unfamiliar on his skin like old friends. Something that feels like it should belong but doesn't.

They don't.

It's almost absurd how natural it feels, how right, mouths slotting together like they were meant to, hands and fingers exploring each other's bodies like eternal lovers and not two people seeking a quick night together. Mitch tastes like chocolate and vodka and happiness, like fleeting memories and fast love. He tastes like freedom.

"I do love you, Scotty. Which I know isn't the most comforting thing to say right now but...I need to go." He giggles again and Scott is drunk on the sound, high off the way it makes him feel warm and light, like an angel blessing him with wings. The apparent tenor squirms in his hold, tries to twist away from the scattered kisses across his back and neck and shoulders, even as he laughs. "Scotty I'm serious, I have to go," he whines, and his lover relinquishes him from his grasp with a frown.

"You should just quit your job and live with me forever. I'll provide for you."

Another giggle. "I know you would."

It's different this time. It tastes like saltwater and confusion and regrets and bitter morning coffee. It tastes like months and years and everything in-between. It tastes like

sugar and warm blankets and soft things, like when Scott convinces Mitch to stay home from work and they waste the day away cuddling in bed.

Which doesn't include today, unfortunately.

Mitch kisses Scott's pout away with a loving smile, and not for the first time the man feels like the luckiest man in the world. His tiny love tastes like warm winters and cool summers and sunsets in the spring, fallen leaves over a sunrise. He tastes like eternity. "Goodbye Scotty," he teases.

He tastes like goodbye.

***

"one year." has been made a private chapter, if only to accommodate for the fact that i posted it without an actual update alongside it, something that still upsets me even now. it's been such a long time since i last updated, and i sincerely apologize for that. i've missed you all <3