thirteen roses.

dedicated to my rose gold annie and my waifu alex <3

***

The first one had been slipped into his locker, twisted through the slits and its petals lying gently against the metallic surface. He had been confused, rightfully so, but still he found himself gasping and then felt his lips twist into a smile as he carefully slid it out, eyes lighting up as his gaze is caught by the small slip of paper wrapped around the thorn-less stem. For the most beautiful girl in the world. X

For a moment he is hesitant, disheartened by the gender pasted into the sentence. He let himself foolishly believe that the note was for him, that someone had taken the care to compliment him and reward him a beautiful red rose, but it was possible that it was simply a mistake. Kirstie was the only one who knew about his androgyny, his desire to be represented in a more feminine way than the way he was forced to endure by his peers.

Even then he still clutches it close to his heart, closes his eyes with a smile and lets himself revel in the warm feeling that blooms in his chest and warms his cheeks. If it is a mistake, then he won't be getting another one, so he'll make the most of it.

The next day Kirstie is at his side, the two discussing the homework for their English class and simultaneously complaining about their short mid-winter break that week. As they approach his locker he fails to notice the way his face falls slightly at the lack of rose. He expected it, knew it was simply a mistake that he was given such a sweet surprise, yet still he finds himself upset with the reality of it.

"Is something wrong?" She is intuitive, notices that slight slump to Mitch's shoulders as if a weight is added there and the way his frown deepens almost unnoticeably at the corners of his mouth as they get closer to his locker.

The brunette shrugs in reply, tries to play it off as his thoughts getting ahead of him as he spins the combination lock. He trusts her, he does, but he knows that if he were to tell her about the first rose she would become excited and pursue it, and he knew he didn't have the heart to be turned down in person if they were to find the secret admirer. It was a mistake, he knows this, so he didn't bother telling her when there was nothing to tell.

He is pleasantly surprised, however, when he opens his locker and two roses wrapped in plastic together greet him, both a bright and vibrant yellow, and he isn't sure if the pleased gasp he hears is his or Kirstie's or both. He carefully reaches for the bouquet – does it count as a bouquet if it only has two flowers? – and peels away the paper taped to the front, dimples indenting his cheeks and giggles escaping his lips as he reads it. Your dimples are adorable. I wish I was the cause of half of them. X

They are stolen from him soon after, Kirstie squealing excitedly and ignoring the looks she receives from the other students roaming the hallways. "Oh my God, Mitchy! Who got you these, holy shit babe!"

He shrugs, the grin on his face still prominent even though it's much more shy due to the attention she's drawn to the duo. His heart feels warm, the compliment still on his mind and indenting the same dimples it described in his cheeks, and he is quick to take one of the roses back, twirling it in his fingers. "I don't know, but this is the second one."

He laughs as his best friend hits him, a look of mock hurt and betrayal evident on her face. "And you didn't tell me sooner! How dare you!"

He smiles sheepishly, switches out his book while being careful not to damage the flowers. "I didn't...I thought it was a mistake. I mean, who would actually give me flowers? And it's so random too; I figured they just put it on the wrong locker."

Her features soften, turn into something more sympathetic and he has to turn away and focus on clicking his lock back in place to distract himself from the pity in her eyes. "Babe, you know anyone would be lucky to have you."