second.

He heard from someone once, many years ago, that the greatest moments in life pass in mere seconds. In only a second life may be given or taken or anything in-between, and yet no matter how much time may pass in those moments it feels like only seconds.

He wonders if now, as his heart stutters a staccato in his chest and his lungs hurt with the uneven breaths he draws in, is one of those moments, his head a messy static and ears ringing.

"I'm in love with you."

The words feel natural to him, rolling off his tongue with a practiced ease and somehow not marred by his anxiety. They carried weight with them, however; left behind a cotton gag in his mouth that try as he might he couldn't seem to be able to rid himself of.

Sometimes he wished he lived in those alleged seconds, that they would slow down for only him and allow him the chance to right his wrongs and settle things before the last speck of sand fell through the hourglass of seconds composed of tiny milliseconds. He wished that milliseconds were minutes and minutes were hours and hours were days and yet he also is glad they aren't, that time runs at such a pace as it does because he can hardly handle this silence filled with "what ifs" and to suffer an eternity of it would be his personal Hell.

For a moment he wonders if the second is over and another is beginning, if the second he had created set another one into motion in a cruel domino effect.

He supposes it would no matter the outcome of this coming second, however, seeing as whether it took life or gave it it would still bare an answer he wasn't sure he was entirely ready for. When he confessed he had held out his fragile heart, let it stutter in his hands as it neared its other half and hoped that its keeper would cherish the crystal glass. When he had confessed, when the words he is now sure are sin left his lips, he'd done so with the promise that they were honest, had done so and let the cursed letters spell out "second" because that's what they were: another second of another minute of another hour of another day of another week of another

"Oh God I've been waiting so long for you to say that. I'm in love with you too."

He heard from someone once, many years ago, that the greatest moments in life pass in mere seconds.

He wonders if now, as his heart is held in the delicate hands of another and he cradles its soulmate close and warms it in the spot that had always been saved for it, is in one of those moments, another second in an hour of life.

***

A/N: This wasn't supposed to be today's update what the Hell am I doing.

Sometimes I have these really profound thoughts, and sometimes I have thoughts that completely destroy me and make me want to die, and sometimes I have thoughts that are just that, thoughts, and this is kind of what that is: a profound thought that is, in essence, just a thought.

STORY TIME: I had this idea, but as a sad one-shot, and I've already started and almost finished it, and I was going to post the sad one and then this semi-happier version at a later date, but then Annie didn't have Mitch turn down Scott's proposal (spoiler alert oops) SO THANKS ANNIE HERE YOU GO.

I'll probably post the sad version at some point, but for now here's a totally not-sad version (kind of).

In other news if you ever want to read my profound and/or destructive thoughts at any point for whatever strange reason, I'll be posting a story soon titled "constellations". If you'd like to see my "just thoughts", and get updates on my life and shit, then I'll be posting one called "little talks" that has a really cute cover.

Also!! Send me requests I'm bored and have resorted to OTP prompts (although they're FUN).

I'm a mess right now lmao see you guys soon, love you all <3

(PS: 2000+ reads??? Literally the fuck how I'm scREAMING)

(PSS: I promise I'm actually writing a good one-shot that has substance and story and isn't just my thoughts with "scomiche" stamped on it (also i'll teach you how to love is expecting another part soon) k bye)