Chapter Two

My parents left for work the next day. Leaving me alone in our new home. They told me to stay inside.

         I paced around my room, unpacking things and sketching in between breaks.

         Then I became bored.

         I've only been on summer break for a week now and I'm already out of things to do.

         I know what!

         I can go upstairs.

         I have'nt really explored the building yet since I moved in yesterday.

         I opened the door.

         The stairwell was silent.

         I was very unsure of myself if I wanted to leave my apartment or not. That's because I knew the consequence of getting caught outside the apartment.

        I walked outside the door and put one foot on the next step up, gripping the wooden banister. Being very conscience that my shoes were laced, I swiftly trotted up the stairs.

        Strangely, the stairwell became narrow as I reached the top. A heavy fire-proof door met me at the top of the staircase.

        I pressed the handle on the door. A beam of light burned my eyebrows; a result from playing inside of a dark staircase. Behind the door, a vine and plant covered terrace was revealed.

        Everything is so...green.

        The terrace was enchanting. It was like a hidden garden in the middle of a busy neighborhood. I walked outside into the shaded area.

        My foot crunched a twig on one of the stones.

       There was a scattering noise.

       I could feel my heart jumping.

      Something was hiding in the bushes.

      Should I check it out?

      I tiptoed toward the bush. There were hundreds of sharp little stickers on the branches. I slowly lifted the bush.

     There was a small brown tail.

     I lifted the whole bush up with a large branch.

     A gray kitten popped out!

    I flinched at the element of surprise.

   The kitten began to tug on my shoe lace.

   Great.

  I heard a screeching noise coming from the bush.

 A brown kitten was whining in agony. The gray kitten was tugging me in the direction where the born kitten lied. The brown kitten had a thorn in its paw!

  I immediately scooped up the kitten in my arms.

  "What do I do?" I said to myself.

  The kitten let out a cry.

  "What Are You Doing Up Here?!" A deep voice demanded.