Chapter One

Copyright ©ShazneemTamana

 Chapter One

I set the plates filled with our evening meal on the table. Smiling at Adam, I sat down in my seat. I waited for him to start, knowing I wasn’t allowed to start before him. I heard the knife cut into the steak. I looked up to see the fork rise and his mouth open to eat the mouthful of meat. I quickly averted my gaze, peering at my plate of greens with a hint of red pepper. I was about to pick up my cutlery when I heard a sharp intake of breath.

My hands shook as if warning me of impending doom.

“You bitch! Again you put too much salt in the food! Why can’t you fucking cook?” he shouted.

He put his fork down and got up. I quivered from where I sat, at the opposite end of the table. You never knew with him; he could explode with anger one minute and treat you like you were the most precious thing in the next.

Slowly, Adam made his way towards me.

As he came to a stop, my insides turned upside down. I still hadn’t touched my food. The need to eat had left me; replaced with a frenzied desire to vomit.

“Get up, Kira,” he said. I followed his instructions as I always have. Stepping away from my chair, I turned to face him.

“Look up, my dear wife, for you deserve so much for your efforts.”

My fear dimmed a little. Perhaps he’d realised how I had been cooking non-stop for two hours and hadn’t eaten since breakfast. I looked up but before my eyes could meet his, his hand had met my cheek.

The slap stung and my cheek heated with hurt. It was all my fault. I was the idiot who just couldn’t do anything right.

I looked down in shame. Never would I ever be good enough for him.

“Last time, Kira. This is the last time. I won’t tell you again. It’s been ten fucking years,” he said.

I looked at him and saw that his temper was rising. He wasn’t finished.

“Why, Kira? Two meals is all you have to cook. Why can’t you do just that?”

He grabbed my hair with a force that had my skull pulsing with pain. I whimpered and received another slap.

He breathed in my face. “No sound- You know the rules. Don’t make a fucking sound you low-life bitch! And if you raise your shoulder in defense, I will break it. Is that clear?”

He had pulled my hair as he punctuated each sentence.

Before I could answer, he punched my right shoulder to make sure I understood. Pain raced through me but I didn’t cry out. I shut my eyes, letting what was meant to happen just happen. I willed for it to be over.

I lay in bed stifling my sobs. My ribs hurt with the punches I had received; my head spun with the amount of times my hair had been pulled as he threatened and beat me, practically using it as a basketball against the floor.

I could hear his snoring in the next room and thanked the Lord that he, my husband, didn’t want to bed with me tonight.

My heartbreak hurt me more than my physical ailments. My body shook as the throbbing of my muscles and joints ran through it.

I looked at the curtains that hid the outside world from view.

It was all gone now...all of the love, dreams and wishes I once had; the ones I used to breathe for. Gone.

This was my life now.

Before sleep engulfed me, one last thought crept into my mind...

What would it be like? Would this chaos end before my life did or would it end with my last breath?

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

What do you think?

Let me know

Vote

Comment

Fan

Xo

Ms Shazneem

Copyright ©Shazneem Tamana This story belongs to me