Chapter Seven

"Alright class," Danvers shushed the class, "Before I get into the rules of this class, I would like us to get to know each other just a little bit better. Before you all freak out, don't worry. We will go down the line of people and if you would, please tell the class your name, any names you would like to be called, and your pronouns. Of course, you are not pressured to answer. If you do not want to answer, just say your name and that's all." Danvers made sure everyone in the room was comfortable. "We'll start right here," She pointed at Bandit.

Bandit gave a small smile, "My name is Bandit, I'm fine with any nicknames, and she/her/hers." Bandit explained. No one better call her babe, Brooke thought sourly, that's my name for her. Although the young girl wasn't normally a jealous type, Brooke wanted to make sure that people knew Bandit was hers. Shaking her head, Brooke believed that was creepy to be territorial over another person. 

Seeing as Bandit was done talking, Brooke began on hers. "Uh, I'm Brooke, I really don't have any nicknames so you can call me anything, and I guess she/her/hers." Brooke smiled, rubbing her hands on the side-seams of her blue jeans. Finding nothing else really to say besides sitting there awkwardly, she looked at the next kid - a boy with swept over pink hair - for him to continue. He did, Brooke catching his name as Nathan.

He seemed like a more shy peer of Brooke's but she didn't get the vibe that he was mean in any sort of light. His hair wasn't the same shade of pink either, It was lighter at the top but darker at the bottom - it seemed to be growing out to the original color, one which Brooke assumed to be blonde. Brooke sent a smile, Nathan returning with a shyer one. As the class continued with their names and pronouns, Brooke began to talk to Nathan. "Hi, Nathan." Startled, Nathan's head snapped up, his finger readjusting his thick brown glasses.

Brooke didn't quite what to say, but hoped he wouldn't sense her awkwardness. "Are you talking to me? Oh. You said, Nathan. Of course, you're talking to me. Sorry." His words came out of a jumbled mess. Brooke just stared at him as he awkwardly fiddled with his fingers, not really meeting her eyes. Brooke almost wanted to giggle - but held it in her throat to make him less worried. Nathan was, if not more, awkward than Brooke. He seemed nice, so Brooke pretended to unaffected by his stammer.

"It's alright," Brooke smiled, hoping to get a conversation going between them. "So what class did you have before this?" Brooke asked. She knew the only thing connecting them was the fact they both went to school and had the same class at this time. That was the only thing Brooke knew how to make up off the top of her head. Recalling back to Maura's class, she cringed at the memory.

Nathan's eyes seemed to almost light up. As if he was surprised that Brooke continued to talk him out of the blue. Looking up sheepishly, he mumbled, "Mrs. Tara, for, uh, honors science." Nathan explained with a small hand gesture. Brooke nodded - although she had no idea who Mrs. Tara was, Nathan was still talking to her.

"Cool! Do you like her class?" Brooke asked, continually prodding him with questions. Nathan seemed to be the unaffected one soon, answering every question that Brooke asked.

Brooke didn't miss the glint in his eyes, a glint of cheerfulness. "I like her class a lot, actually. I know it's only the first day, but I really like science - it what I want to be when I grow up. Not science literally but a scientist." His eyes lit up like the Vegas Lights at nighttime behind his overly-big rimmed glasses. Nathan was incredibly happy to be talking about science, one that is so clearly his favorite. "Sorry, I tend to ramble a lot."

"That sounds great, you would be a really cool one!" Brooke smiled, generally meaning her words. A couple of students began talking about their summer, Danvers listening to each one of their stories. Many students were talking to each other, friends catching up on what happened over the summer. After looking around for only a second, Brooke recognized some of them from this morning in the front of the school. Nathan blushed a deep shade of red, manging to bumble out a thank you.

Danvers started talking to the entire class once again settled down into silence. "That was lonely, wasn't it? I really hope you are going to enjoy your time in my class," She seemed to truly enjoy teaching her english sessions. Her soft features gave a smoothness to each of her words. "Anyway, in English 1, we will be discussing many topics; Shakespeare's Macbeth, many of the works by Edgar Allan Poe, and the Odyssey." Danvers then went on to explain the rest of the class.

After passing out the syllabus, Danvers opened another conversation to the class, attempting to get to know the students better. Brooke, not truly engaging in the conversation of the class, turned to Bandit and started talking. Slipping on arm around Bandit's waist, "How was your morning, babe?" She asked, moving closer to her girlfriend. Bandit responded by playing with the ends Brooke's wavy brown hair, rubbing strains between her fingers softly.

"Great, actually. My first hour was boring but I can't complain. How was Jai - was he annoying?" Bandit replied with a smile. Brooke chuckled, shook her head lightly. Jai wasn't annoying, at least not to Brooke. He was her friend, and she was glad to have him as a friend. "How was that perv?" Bandit's nose scrunched up with a hit of disgust.

Brooke assumed that she meant Maura. "Creepy. If there was a creep-o meter, it would be exploding." Brooke complained, lowering her voice. In an almost snarling matter, she continued. "He gives me such the creeps. creeps. I see what you meant by he's a pedo." Brooke falsely shivered with disgust. She slipped her other arm around the front of her waist, gripped her hands together with Bandit in her arms. Their hands were close, but untouching.

Bandit chuckled, "If he had a spirit animal, it would be a snake - a slimy one at that." Both girl erupts with fits of giggles.