Chapter Twelve

Weeks had passed since the school year first started. Things have been going quite normal for me and I felt even closer to the group. By now, teachers have started long lectures and endless assignments. Jai calls me a goodie-two-shoes, but I have yet to let my grades slip. The lowest grade I have is a low B, of course, that's in Maura's class. I think it's stupid, and the group agrees with me. I actually loved school and the people. 

I was in Maura's class, as it was Friday, and was subjected to a torturous lesson about mathematics. I don't like sitting through his lessons, something about the way he teaches makes me want to shove a pen in my eye. Usually, he just sits behind his desk and shoves work down our throats. He just reads in this monotone voice and just reads straight out a textbook. I never could focus in this class. Neither could Jai, as he was texting on his phone number the desk. 

Maura pointed to the whiteboard,  "The quadratic formula is negative a B, plus and minus the square root of B squared minus four times A and C. Now, all of this is over two multiplied by A." He explained about the quadratic formula, which went right over my head. He wrote all of that on the board. It looked like scribbles from my seat.  "This will be on the test, so please remember this." Jai groaned loud enough for the class to hear, causing a couple of us, including me, to giggle. 

I caught Maura roll his eyes, but continue none the less.  "Does anyone know how to complete a square?" The class was silent, clearly, none of us understanding how to. He waited, impatiently, trying to stare the class into answering. No one did. "Really, do none of you know how to complete a square? It's so simple!" His voice raised a little bit from before. I sat back in my seat lightly, hoping to duck behind the kids further up the row. Never make eye contact with a teacher, they will automatically call on you. 

Still, silence. "You are supposed to be high schoolers, did no one teach you this?" He rolled his eyes. The class didn't want to anger him even more, and we just didn't say anything. Maura didn't seem satisfied but didn't push it. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, it's the first month of the school year, teachers are bound to be stressed. I noticed that Maura always was stressed, which is the complete opposite of most teachers, and it was clear that his stress was affecting his teaching.

Maura started to explain more about the topic before the bell rang. The class seemed to go on forever, there's no way that this class period was only an hour. It had to have been at least three hours. I waited for the class to file out as I shoved my notebook into my bag. Maura was at the door, handing each student a paper. I almost wanted to groan, I didn't want homework over the weekend - Bandit and I had planned a date tonight. I'll just finish it on Saturday or Sunday. I walked out of the rows, with Jai still texting away on his phone. 

He had been texting someone rapidly, and he seemed really distracted from this person. I didn't question him or looking over his shoulder, knowing that it will be best to not pry. After sending a quick text, he glanced at me with a smile as he walked beside me. We took the paper from Maura, who held a smug look on his face, as we passed by him. Jai, just like me, wasn't unhappy with the work and immediately was complaining about it. "Front and back homework? On a Friday?" The distaste was clear. 

"I know it sucks," I dragged out the end, aimless flipping the paper around in my hands. 

Jai shoved it into his backpack, not really caring how it folds. "I won't do it." Jai started bluntly. "I'll see you around," I said my goodbyes as well and we parted ways. He went back to texting. Whoever he's texting sure seems very important. I slipped my earbuds in my ears, pressing the play button. Dad's new song was ready to be released, yet he let me listen to it. No one besides me, dad, Ryan, and the rest of the band. I already loved it, and I wanted to see the reactions of fans. 

I was able to listen to it, as long as I don't share it with anyone. They want it to be a surprise, and it's completely understandable. The only other person that knows about the new song is Bandit and me. I hummed lightly, making sure my humming was quiet enough not for anyone to hear. I walked up the stairs, getting closer to the stairs. 

I was getting excited about our date tonight. There were only rare times Bandit and I get to go out by ourselves without our parents. And this was one of those times. Dad and Gerard agreed that we would go out with Gerard's car. I didn't really know where we were going - well, we could go to McDonald's and I'd be happy. With three minutes to spare, I slipped into my seat in Danvers class and waited on Bandit to arrive.

[...] 

So, uh, yeah, I've been out of school for a week now. The teachers at my school walked out on April 2nd and the walkout continues. There's no school Monday, and we aren't really sure when school will be back in. Mary Fallin, man, we regret letting her corrupt our education system. So yeah, I'm still out of school. Thanks, Oklahoma legislators for not doing better to fund education! 

That's about it as an author's notes. I know this chapter kinda sucks, it's more or less a filler. But, I hope you enjoyed! Please like and comment to show that you are reading and liking this book thus far!