Part 9: Picked Up, Knocked Down

Start from the beginning

I had been planning on hitting the weights, but as I walk by the basketball court, I see a bunch of my friends – Ray included – playing a pickup game. I stop on the sidelines, trying to act as nonchalant as possible. Crossing my arms, I refrain from cheering even when Jimmy throws a three pointer that's all net. Nevertheless, I hope they can't tell that I miss their company like crazy. To be safe, I decide to leave, but just then, the intercom calls Murray away.

"I guess that's it for today, guys," Ray calls to the four others left on the court when his team is left one short.

"Hold up! Will can take over for him," Nico suggests right as I'm about to walk out the door. "Are you in, Will?" he asks me directly when I turn.

"If it's all right with all of you." I scan the faces for their reactions. Although Roger looks ready to object, I couldn't care less about his opinion. The only one that really matters is Ray.

Luckily, he takes the lead and shrugs his shoulders. "Let's do it."

I haven't played three-on-three in a while, so even though Ray throws me a perfect pass, I totally fumble the layup. Switching sides doesn't help when I fail to block Topher's shot.

"We may have been better off without you," Nico jokes, giving me a sly wink. Although Ray's face remains emotionless, I can see that he's gripping the ball so tightly that I'm afraid that it's going to pop.

"No worries, gentlemen. I was just trying to ease you into my game," I boast while stretching and clapping a few times for good measure, trying to psyche myself up. "I think you can all handle it, so let's get this thing started!"

"Well, all right!" Roger rubs his hands together, most likely in anticipation of a no holds barred beat down.

I don't want to give him the satisfaction, so I try to play by the rules for the first few rounds. The strategy seems to work and we even start to score some points. When Ray gives me a high five after a three pointer, I feel like I'm finally getting my groove back.

While we take our defensive positions, Roger, Jimmy, and Topher confer mid-court. They take longer than usual, so Nico begins to taunt them. "Come on, ladies! We don't have all day."

They finally line up for another drive. Topher's on point across from Ray, leaving Jimmy for me and Roger for Nico.

Topher comes up the middle and attempts a shot, but Ray's all over him. Defeated in the attempt, he looks to either side and decides to pass to Roger. I'm too far back for a steal, so I know that I'm going to have to block him from scoring. I plant my feet firmly and hold my arms above my head, bracing myself for his advance.

He dribbles in place a few times and then runs at me. As he jumps toward the hoop, I step into his path and lean into him. Although I try my best to stay upright, his stocky frame combined with his momentum knocks me off my feet. I promptly land on my back with a thud and slide off the court.

"Whoa, whoa, that was uncool, Will. . . . Are you all right man? . . . Play fair, guys. . . .," a cacophony of reactions surrounds me.

I'm waiting for Roger to chime in with his disapproval as well, but in a surprise move, he walks up to me, bends down, and extends a helping hand. "Watch it, kid or you'll extend your furlough with the time it takes to heal a broken limb."

What an ass. I should have known he wasn't trying to be nice. He just wanted to take another jab at me.

I try to figure out a quick comeback, but I notice Ray standing behind Roger. He's looking at us, furrowing his brow in a familiar 'don't do it, Will' look. Unfortunately, I have no idea what he'd try to stop me from doing.

I go to pick up the ball, but my mind is still on Roger. I wouldn't mind if he broke an arm or two. I'd have the last laugh watching him sidelined from his Skipper for a month and a half.

I smile at the thought, before realizing that I've actually just stumbled on to something. That's it! That's what Ray was warning me about. He must have guessed that I'd be inspired by Roger's words and take him out. With Ellen missing and Roger incapacitated, my reinstatement would be almost guaranteed.

This newfound objective pumps me up even more. I take my place at point and wait for the others to find their spots. Jimmy's in my face, so I pass across to Nico. I'm now free to cut across to the other side, so I run behind Ray and set myself up next to the hoop. In spite of my insistence that I'm open, Nico passes the ball to Ray. His error is quickly revealed when Roger slaps the ball away, taking the offensive position.

I grin as I realize that this may be the chance that I need. I line up in front of Roger and throw my arms up, pushing my body toward his. He's forced to retreat, but he quickly reverses course and dribbles past me when I move too far right. By the time I recover, he's passed the ball to Topher.

After catching up with him, we're not in the same corner with Ray and Jimmy.

Nico's not letting Topher take a shot, so he has no choice but to pass the ball, but Ray and I are both all over our men. From over my shoulder, I hear Roger asking for the ball and as Topher hurls it across the court, I know that I can do one of two things. I can either catch it and steal the play, or I could fumble it on purpose, but take the opportunity to take Roger out instead.

In the split second that my focus is diverted from the game, I fail to notice a threat to me. By the time I realize it, it's too late and I'm being pushed to the floor. My attacker, however, isn't part of the opposing team, but rather someone who should have been on my own side. As I crash onto the court, I see that Ray has triumphantly intercepted Topher's pass – a pass I was planning to catch.

"Stingray!" a voice thunders through the cavernous space.

All our heads snap toward the entrance door, where we immediately see Vice Commander Kiefer. I have no idea how long the second in command on Vanguard has been standing there, but obviously it's been long enough to see Ray's move against me.

My friend immediately runs toward our superior officer and we can clearly overhear his derision. He's also ordered up to see Commander Lamer at once.

"What the hell was that about?" Nico asks as soon as they're gone, but we treat the question as rhetorical and remain silent.

We pick up our stuff and the rest of us also slowly scatter. I head toward the showers, but no matter what other justification I try to come up with, only one reason makes sense for Ray's actions: he was making sure we couldn't deliver both Skippers. He'll probably be reprimanded for unsportsmanlike conduct and at best, he'll be briefly sidelined from piloting. Although I'll have a shot at taking his place, once again only one of us would be able to operate a craft.

Of course, if I had taken Roger out, I'd be the one facing the commander right now. Since it would be my second offense, I'd be facing even harsher punishment than just a demotion. But I sincerely doubt that in our current state of disagreement, Ray would put my well-being over his own.

 But I sincerely doubt that in our current state of disagreement, Ray would put my well-being over his own