Chapter 11: Walk with me

Adam remained, watching Michael disappear in the distance. Lucifer returned to his spot on the ground.

"Can I speak to Sam?" Adam asked.

Lucifer eyed Sam's half-brother. The light brown hair, the blue eyes, looking both small and determined. He gently brushed his grace from Sam's ears.

"Sam, you have a visitor." Lucifer whispered.

Sam stirred and sighed.

"It's ok, kiddo." Lucifer breathed, "I won't let him hurt you."

Hazel eyes drew open and blinked slowly, "What....?" Sam murmured. He stiffened, eyes widening when realized he was being held against Lucifer's shoulder. With a gasp he pushed himself away.

"You have a visitor, Sam." Lucifer reminded him.

Sam turned around.

"Adam!" Sam exclaimed, hurrying to his half-brother and embracing him.

"Heya Sam! You ok?" Adam asked.

"Yeah..." Sam rubbed the back of his head, "Me and Lucifer just needed to talk about...stuff..."

"So he didn't hurt you then?" Adam asked.

"No." Sam replied, casting a wary glance at Lucifer. The Angel watched them quietly.

"Walk with me." Sam said to Adam. The two the them turned away, and Sam noted Lucifer made no attempt to follow them.

"Well, if he does try to hurt you, just scream or something. I'll make Michael come for you." Adam added in hushed voice as they crossed the endless terrain.

Sam smiled, "Thanks, Adam."

Adam sighed in relief, "Good. Look, I tried to get Michael to talk to Lucifer, but that didn't go over so well..."

"It usually doesn't." Sam agreed.

"I don't understand it." Adam sighed in frustration, "We're all stuck down here, may as well try to get along..."

"One thing I've learned about angels –once they get fixated on their feuds and problems, they really don't think about how it affects anybody else." Sam told Adam.

"It ended with Michael stomping off again. Are angels usually so broody?"

Sam laughed, "I'm really not sure to be honest..."

Adam groaned, "I can see him now, all moody and sulky in his corner, throwing a pity party like he's the only one who's stuck down here..." Adam rolled his eyes.

"Angels can be a little conceited." Sam agreed.

Adam sighed, "I think I'd better go check on him anyway. See you around. Come back soon, would ya? And I'm really glad you're ok."

Sam smiled, "See you, Adam."

Sam returned to Lucifer. The angel was absently drawing pictures in the red dirt. Sam watched him curiously as he doodled a pitchfork in the soil.

"Hey Lucifer?" Sam asked.

"Yes, Sam?" Lucifer drew points on the ends of his pitchfork.

"I want to ask you something," Sam began nervously.

"Ask me anything."

"Ok. I want to know about God."