Chapter 10: Watch like an Angel

At some point Sam fell asleep again. They had sat in silence for some time, before Sam's eyes grew heavy and his head fell against Lucifer's knee.

Lucifer smiled fondly and gently stroked the chestnut locks of hair. Sam still perceived himself as having a body, so his soul had imitated it to best of Sam's memory. Lucifer could see through the illusion, however, to the true colors and energy pulses that composed his vessel's soul.

At least Sam perceived himself as having a body that was whole. When Lucifer first retrieved Sam, there had been actual damage to Sam's soul. His very core had been fractured by the torture. But Lucifer had healed him, repairing the damage and putting Sam back together. However, Sam's mind still believed he was injured, so his soul had taken the appearance of a broken, damaged body. It was a form Lucifer knew would cause Sam immense discomfort when he awoke. It had taken a lot of coxing to persuade Sam he was well again. That his injuries had been healed and there was nothing to be scared of. Mostly it had taken time. Time for Sam to repair himself. To believe he could be well. The human mind was both a great and terrible thing. Lucifer had kept Sam unconscious for most of it, only allowing Sam to awaken once his soul believed it was whole.

A crease appeared between Sam's eyes and Lucifer frowned in puzzlement. Then Sam's eyebrow knit and he winced.

Could it be that Sam was having...nightmares?

A flare of anger shot through Lucifer.

No. After everything Sam had gone through, he would not allow the boy to be tortured by the caverns of his own mind.

Lucifer placed two fingers against Sam's forehead. A shot of grace pushed the dreams away and Sam's face relaxed. Lucifer sighed in relief.

"See Sam? I won't let anything hurt you." Lucifer whispered to the sleeping human, "Not even your own mind..."

"Hello brother."

Lucifer whipped around, his arms instinctively coiling around Sam, "Michael." Lucifer stated, "What are you doing here?"

"He's here to apologize." Replied another voice. Adam appeared behind Michael, crossing his arms.

"Apologize? You?" Lucifer eyed his brother skeptically.

"I told you, Adam, there was nothing I could do. This is Lucifer's Hell. Nothing I did would have changed anything." Michael said.

Adam rolled his eyes, "Fine. We're here to check on Sam."

"Sam is sleeping. I would prefer it if you didn't disturb him." Lucifer replied, placing a hand over Sam's ear and shielding it with his grace.

"Is he ok?" Adam asked.

"Yes." Lucifer answered.

"He didn't come back and I was wondering if..."

"Sam is fine." Lucifer repeated. His gaze flitted to Michael, "I didn't think Sam's health concerned you..."

"It doesn't." Michael replied, "Not really."

"Then why are you here?" a threatening growl appeared in the back of Lucifer's throat and his arms tightened around Sam.

"Relax, brother. I'm not going to touch Sam." Michael replied.

"You'd better not." Lucifer snarled.

"But I am curious. Why does that concern you?" Michael asked.