A bloody battle

Soul rummaged through his room, looking for anything he could possibly use to go find the monster. He looked under the bed, he lifted clothes and looked underneath, and even looked in the closet that looked uncleaned for 50 years, with piles of clothes and trash in it. He didn't really know what he was looking for, because he didn't need any weapons necessarily, besides his hands, which could easily become blades.

When he got to the living room, Soul checked the couch, and then plopped onto it. He sat in thought, absentmindedly changing his finger into a mini scythe and back again.

That monster must be in death city... actually maybe not since there haven't been anymore sightings of it in the city. Hmmm... Where could it be? He trampled around his room in a craze, picking things up and putting then down. He was raring to go but he didn't know what he would need. Maka would've known what to do. Well Soul was doing this for her. She needs a cure.

He walked over to the fridge.

Milk would help him make a decision. He peered through one eye at the contents of the fridge. He scanned past ketchup, bread, eggs, yogurt, ooh sushi, and then the milk. He grabbed it and put it to his lips and gulped straight out of the carton. He stopped drinking with a satisfied "ahhh" and wiped his mouth with his sleeve.

Get a move on, Evans. Hurry up and leave if there's nothing here to take.

He took one last swig of milk and put it back in the fridge. He turned around abruptly only to run into a solid body. He yelled out loud and jumped back into a fighting stance. But it was only-

"Sid! what are you doing here?" Soul exclaimed. He looked slightly behind him and spotted Stein too. "W-what are the both of you doing here?" he asked again.

Stein was leaning back on the counter smoking, and when Soul spoke he pushed his slowly sliding glasses back up onto his nose. The light flashed in the glass, obscuring his eyes from Soul's vision.

"We know you're on a mission to go get me a blood sample from the worm. Obviously since we gave you the mission." Stein said.

"Yeah, I'm going right now sir, to kill the monster and bring back it's blood for the cure." Soul said determinedly. Sid smirked.

"A noble cause, Soul. Were just here to tell you some important things about the worm. Or rather, Stein will since he is the expert on it at the moment." Sid said. And with that he stepped back and Stein took a drag of his cigarette and let it hang off of his lip. He stood up straighter and Soul prepped his mind to remember whatever message he was about to receive.

"You see, the possible anti-venom is in the worm's blood because it wasn't human blood, which doesn't contain things like that. The worm is not human. If it wasn't obvious enough because of its non-human bodily structure, I am absolutely certain now. This is odd because monsters are usually part human since they used to be human, and their souls are now kishin eggs."

"What does this mean? Does it matter?" Soul asked. Stein took a puff of his cigarette and shrugged. He rolled it between his fingers as he spoke, "We don't know anything about this thing whatsoever. It would be best to kill it. But I'm asking you to be extremely careful. This worm is not human. It may be a lot tougher to kill. It might not even be killed at all. Just know that if you fail, it means death."

Soul looked him dead in the eyes. "I will succeed." He knew that Stein definitely wasn't just trying to intimidate him, but giving a fair warning. He knew it meant business now. But Soul was on his last leg. Before, being lifeless with sorrow, he was now spurred into action by the threat of actual lifelessness. Even more so, since it wouldn't be his life ending. He nodded sternly at Stein and looked through his glasses. He could see his eyes clearly wanting him to start the mission now.