Her rock

A green snake slithered it's way across the black abyss. It's path was straight for the off beat, but when it made its noise it got nervous and quickly zagged up and down and then again into its line. Beep! Then straight on towards its destination, wherever it may be.

Soul's eyes watched the green line squiggle around on the monitor. With every breath in the line would go a fraction faster, and with every breath out, it slowed a fraction. He was almost tortured by the silence but he sat and just watched. His mind was blank watching the screen, with just a line going through, his own breath matching the pace of Makas. His mind was blank, because when he thought, he was flooded with emotions. The first 20 minutes when the sun rose he was stunned into silence, glued to the chair, locked in his mind. It had been too much yesterday.

"I'm in love with you Soul Eater!"

The words bounced around in his head over and over again. Just thinking about it again opened the flood gates. God, it had been too much yesterday. How could he have been so stupid! When Maka had confessed to him her feelings, it felt like being hit by a train. Wham! But the blood all over the floor wasn't his, it was Makas. The monster that emerged from the ground had no name, it traveled incredibly fast and fed on human souls. Her blood had been tinged with a strange purple on the floor, and they still didn't know what it was. But whatever it is keeps her on this hospital bed now, asleep.

The memory of that night was still fresh in his mind, like it was just yesterday. Wait, it was yesterday. Did he stay in this chair the whole night? Soul must've. He was drained. But what kept him up was the thoughts of the events of last night.

The world seemed to move in slow motion, Makas cut seemed to be from head to toe. Blood everywhere. More than even when he was cut across his chest. The moonlight glinting on blood so dark it looked black. People were running frantically, and Soul jumped the gap to Makas side. Slowly, too slowly with her blood flowing like a river, he pulled her onto his lap. A hard fall on her head had already knocked her out cold, but she would fall into a permanent cold if he let her bleed out. His mind was frazzled. It wouldn't take commands, wouldn't hold a thought. He looked up and saw people running. His lips parted and a small sound came out. Then a spark lit in his brain and he yelled.

Help! Help! Why isn't anyone stopping to see what's wrong? Where is everyone going? For the love of god, someone HELP HER!

Because he didn't. He ignored her for weeks on end. He thought everything was fine, just a touch of peculiar behavior. When she needed him to be there, he was with another girl. It must've really hurt her, He thought. She had said she was jealous. How much courage must it have taken for her to confess? No wonder she had been giving him the silent treatment! Who would want to talk to a guy who barely acknowledged you? Soul felt horrible. He wished for nothing more than for Maka to wake up. And to know that it was to his meister, the one person that knew him better than himself. She knew what was going on. Come to think of it, what in the world had gone on? It seemed impossible to think that he actually went on through those months, not feeling anything, not seeing what was right in front if his face.

Back in the memory, he saw. Frantically running students, trying to find their weapon partners, their perfect matches. They went around the pair on the floor, as they had to avoid the gap. The world seemed soundless too. Soul was as deaf to the whole world as it was to him. Flashes of light out of the corner of his eye. The beast, being attacked by everyone who ran over. It was already trying to dig into the ground. Makas face was as pale as the moon. He couldn't yell anymore. His mind let a single message come to him through the ferment of shattered thoughts. He was also in love with Maka. There was no other way to describe the torrent of feeling flooding every part of him. It only took a lifetime of living with her, being her partner, liking another girl and then finding out like this, for him to realize it. He didn't love Crystal at all. It was barely even a crush anymore. Even when it was, it was just a childish little notion, trying to get her attention, maybe a little affection. But Soul never noticed that he already had all of Makas affection and attention. They lived together for crying out loud! This is when he stopped, he was paralyzed. And then his vision blurred. Tears. One for every year Maka and he lived together as partners. Slow years, slow tears. Picking up the pace, one for each day that he ignored Maka for Crystal. A steady little stream. A torrent, for every second that Maka was hurt because of him. As the seconds passed, the water ran from his eyes. He sobbed. He was so broken. The world was now nonexistent in addition to soundless and motionless. He just cried in the middle of a room, on the floor with Maka in his arms, with the moon in the sky, smiling its grim smile.

Thoughts raced on a wild train going off the tracks down deeper into his own guilt. Soul felt the waterworks start up again, although it wouldn't be as long. He felt the emotion drip through out of his eyes. But more just spawned in his heart. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

He loved her, and she was here in the hospital with a huge cut across her chest because of it! He was too blind to see his own emotions. He cared deeply for Maka, and always had, but never found the link from emotions to love. It was there all along, as they grew as partners and as friends. He knew because he didn't doubt it for a second, that this feeling could be love. He also knew because it was unwavering and strong. It caused him pain and joy at the same time, and it was always underneath everything else.

He had his head in his hands, with a burden as heavy as a whale. He sat in the chair next to Makas bed, the beep of the heart monitor on the other side his only company. After what felt like an eternity, he looked up. He looked at Makas Snow White face, and her auburn/dirty blonde hair. Her eyes were closed, but she was breathing softly and slowly. Soul wished that her eyes would open. He needed to look into her green eyes and tell her that he loved her too. And that he was sorry for letting this happen.

This was like when he got a cut across his chest... Maka had felt responsible too, claiming that she would get stronger for him, she should be his rock. He studied her face and remembered her promise. He'd have done the same...

That's what he would do. Soul thought with a start. He would be strong for both of them. He would never let anything happen to her. He was supposed to protect her. He will. He would be her rock.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

AHHH short I know. Sorry! this was a very emotional chapter for everyone, I feel.

Haha and in a different chapter I wrote about the cliche coma scene. Oops! Well I have more free time now because soccer season ended. Hopefully I can write more! So as always, I love to see comments reads and votes, and as always TANK JOUSS