A checkup

Crystal and Harley walked down the halls of the DWMA. They were walking when Crystal reached over and pushed Harley's shoulder.

He barely moved, just leaned to the side a smidge as they walked. They passed a classroom as they walked. Crystal smiled silently and walked on. Harley looked over at her and smirked mischievously. They walked a few more steps and then Harley reached over and pushed her to the side, hard. Crystal was pushed a few feet away and almost stumbled. She regained her composure quickly and walked next to Harley like nothing happened. She started to walk a little faster. She suddenly pushed him back hard and walked faster ahead. Harley caught up in a few strides and almost shoved her to the floor. He laughed and walked so fast it was almost a jog. Crystal immediately pushed again, so that Harley stumbled a bit and she broke into a run. Then they were off, running down the hall and pushing each other and laughing the whole time.

And what stopped it was when Harley's foot turned into a nunchaku chain and tripped Crystal. She went flying forward, but at the last second, Harley rushed forward and caught her before she touched the ground.

There he was, holding her in his arms, leaning over her in a classic dramatic pose. Crystal was gazing into his wondrous blue eyes, and Harley was lost in her mesmerizing purple ones. Her arms were around his neck and they slowly leaned in. Their faces were getting closer and closer, and they were eyeing each other's parted lips. Crystal slowly began to shut her eyes. This was happening, she thought. Just when she felt the tiniest fraction of his lips brush hers, the very surface, the arms holding her up ripped out from under her and Harley abruptly stood up straight, dropping Crystal onto the floor. Her head and butt hit the ground hard and she bit her tongue.

"Oww...", what could've made him drop her like that?

"Oh Sid. What brings you to this hallway here." Harley said with a red face. Crystal looked up to see Sid's blue face approaching from down the hall. He looked grim, more than usual.

"I'm here to see some students in the infirmary." He said.

"Infirmary? This isn't the right hallway...?" Crystal said. Then she looked around. "Ah, it seems we ran to the infirmary." She stood up and wiped her butt. She could barely look at Harley, it was too embarrassing.

"So it seems. You shouldn't have been running. Well I have to see the students. Oh perhaps you know them, Soul and Maka." Sid said. He stood in front of them.

"We do know them. What happened? What's wrong?" Harley inquired.

"Where you at the ball the other day? The huge monster that came out of the floor severely injured Maka. She's also been poisoned. Soul is fine. Well, mostly." Sid said.

"Oh my, we should go see them. Can we come with you?" Crystal asked. She was suddenly worried about Soul and poor Maka. She felt like a terrible friend for not knowing and being there already.

"I don't see why not I guess. The other kids are there too." He said. The three walked to the room where Maka was.

They opened the door and saw Soul on a chair, with his head in his hands. Patty and Liz were on either side of him, patting his back. Kid and Black Star sat in the other chairs, looking serious, especially Black Star. Tsubaki was in a chair by Makas bed, glancing between Maka and Soul. And as for the person in the bed, Maka was deathly pale, with her hair plastered to her head with sweat. She was very sick looking. Her cheeks were hollow and she already looked skinnier than when they pair had last saw her.

At their entrance, Soul looked up. His eyes were red and he looked like hell. He turned a little in his chair and spoke to Sid, "You're here. She's getting worse by the hour. Help her. Do something!" His voice was raspy and dry. Everyone else looked up at Sid and the two with sympathetic looks on their faces.