The first mission

Maka woke up by herself this morning. Soul was sleeping a little late so she headed over to his room to wake him up.

"Soul, time to wake up." She said a little blandly. She hadnt been showing much emotion around Soul lately. She had given up not talking to him. After all, the silent treatment is never a permanent solution when you live with them and your souls are bonded.

"You're gunna be late for school." Maka shook his shoulder. Soul's back was to her.

"C'mon get up!" She put a little more feeling into it.

"You have to go to school! You're gunna miss things in class." Maka was thinking of things to say to get him out of bed. He just grunted slightly. She took her hands off him and yanked his covers off.

No reaction.

Maka racked her brain for how to wake him up. Cold water might work but then there was the sheets and floor getting wet... How about fire! Even worse.

"Okay I know..." She says with a sigh.

She slowly leans down to Souls ear and says quietly, "Soul, Crystal is on the phone and she said something about another date...?"

Souls eyes snapped open and he shot up in bed, his hair an explosion of white. He says, "whaa...?"

Maka couldn't help laughing at his expression. One eye was half open and the other was wide. Drool was starting to creep out of the corner of his mouth. She covered her mouth for a second and then burst out giggling like crazy. When Soul said "School? Crystal?" She caught herself quickly and stopped right away.

"Yeah. We're just about late." Maka paused to stare at her wrist, which was bare. "Huh... Where's a watch when you need one."

"My alarm clock is right over here." Maka swung her head around to look and there it was. They were off schedule by 15 minutes!

"Gah!" Maka freaked and ran out of the room to finish getting ready.

They were late for school of course. But Maka made up for it by working furiously the whole day and burning through her assignments even faster than usual and before she knew it, it was the end of the day. Steins class.

As the bell rang Stein rolled his chair in front of his desk and scolded everyone who was late. Then he rolled back and cleared his throat.

"Well class today were picking the first missions of the year." He grabbed a clipboard and was scanning the names, "And I know there are two new partnerships in this class..." He paused again as he found a peculiar set of crossed out names.

"That's odd, Jenna and Samuel are in the hospital. They won't be returning for... Who knows how long." He finished as he looked up.

"Well we're not going to care right now because I have an agenda to follow. So back to the matter at hand." He pointed at Harley and Crystal.

"You are the new partnership in this class so I'm pairing you up with the best weapon pair here." His eyes scanned the room and found Oxfords beaming face just waiting confidently to be picked.

"Stupid stuck up know-it-all..." Stein muttered and turned his attention to Maka and Soul. "They would be alright," Stein thought. "After all, Maka defeated the kishin... Sorta. I mean, a punch to the face can hardly be classified as defeat. But its good enough." He thought.

He pointed at Maka. "Maka and Soul shall be accompanying Crystal and her weapon partner on your mission. This will be their first mission ever so show them the ropes and help if they need it."