The Beginning

I remember when the sun used to shine. The sky used to look like the yoke of an egg. It had a bright ember center, and arms extending as far as the eye could see. I remember learning that the sun was a big star that burned brightly in the horizon. I remember days where mamma would force me to go outside and "play" even though I never really wanted to. I remember waiting for some sort of animal to eat me as I played in the woods by myself (for my baby brother was not old enough yet to play with me).

I remember my mother's face. She used to have pale skin, rosy cheeks, and curly, red hair. I remember her plump figure. I remember when it got to dark to play outside, she would call me in from the back porch.

I don't remember my father. I hardly ever saw him because he worked the night shift. I knew my father looked like me, and I knew he was always asleep when I was awake.

I remember dinners with mother. Mother would look so sad.

"Mommy, is daddy going to eat with us tonight?" I would ask. A single tear would drip down her plump cheeks.

"No darling, not tonight. Eat your meatloaf." She would sniff.

I remember being poor. I remember some nights only having pork, and beans for dinner. I remember nights where mommy, and daddy would shout.

"YOU SAID THAT YOU WOULD START WORKING THE DAY SHIFT, SO YOU COULD SPEND TIME WITH YOUR CHILDREN!" Mommy would yell.

"I ALSO PROMISE EVERY YEAR TO TAKE THEM TO DISNEY. I CAN'T AFFORD TO ASK FOR THE DAY SHIFT. DO YOU WANT ME TO LOSE MY JOB? DO YOU?" Daddy would yell.

I remember the night when he walked out. I remember mother running after him. I was in bed.

"DAVID!" She shouted.

My eyes fluttered awake, I rushed to the window; and saw my father get in the family car, and drive down the road. Mother was on her knees sobbing hysterically, and pounding her fists. I went into my closet, and grabbed my bathrobe. I ran down the stairs. I hugged my sobbing mother.

"What are you doing here, you should be in bed Sally." She told me. A tear dribbled down her cheeks.

"I came to see what was wrong. I heard shouting. Mommy, daddy isin't coming back; is he?" I asked.

"No, Sally. He's not." She cried.

"What's gunna happen to Charlie?" I asked her. Charlie was my baby brother. He was not even a month old. "Is Charlie going to live with daddy?" I asked.

She dried her tears, still embracing me.

"No, he's going to stay with us." She said.

"Promise?" I asked holding out my pinky. She took it in her own.

"Promise." She smiled. "Help me up." She said. I stood, she held out her hand. I brought her to her feet, and lead her inside. I watched her sit on the couch.

"I'm going to make you food." I promised her. I went to the kitchen cupboard, and pulled out the only food I knew how to make. Macaroni and Cheese. I took out a pot from under the counter, I filled the pot halfway with water. I put the pot with water on the stove. I turned the burner to high. I reached in the side cabinet for salt. I sprinkled it to make the water boil. In the meantime, I went over to my mother. I spotted a blanket behind her on the sofa.

"Everything is going to be okay." I told her.

"Okay." She smiled.

I watched the water boil, and bubble for about five minutes. I opened the box of pasta, and took out the cheese. I watched the pieces of pasta slide out of the box, and drop into the boiling water. I thought of my daddy burning in the scolding water. Finally, the pasta was done. I took it off the burner. I grabbed the cheese, and mixed it in. I grabbed a bowl from the cupboard, and put the pasta in.  I walked it over to my mother.