"It's not all death and disaster you know." She said, resting her chin on my shoulder.

I snorted. "Just 90% of the time."

"At least I'm not boring." She muttered.

I laughed loudly and shook my head. "That, Alex, you would never be."

Before she could respond I felt her stiffen without warning. I turned to face her but her arms had already let me go and she hand a hand pressed into her ear and her eyes focused elsewhere. Whatever she was hearing, wasn't good.

"Alex?" I said warily.

She didn't meet my eyes as she continued to listen to her comm. Her face was an emotionless mask. The very same one I saw all that time ago when I bumped head first into the criminal overlord known as Scorpion.

Finally she spoke. "I'll be 20 minutes."

What did that mean? Where would she be in 20 minutes?

Then her eyes met mine. But they weren't the eyes of the Alex I loved.

"We need to go." She stated and then turned on her heel towards the exit with nothing else to give me.

"That's it?" I said angrily as I refused to move. "You're not going to explain any of this to me?"

She turned her head over her shoulder as she walked. "We're not doing this here. There's not enough time." She said in the same hollow voice.

It tore at my heart how quickly she could become an entirely different person. Or maybe that was always there but hidden so well. I shook the thought away and followed a few feet behind her.

"Just tell me what the hell is going on Alex!" I tried again.

She didn't budge though. Soon we were back in the elevator and flying towards the vehicle bay. She lifted a hand to her ear again, clearly following what her gang were up to. The silence was wearing my patience into the ground and soon I wouldn't be able to stop myself from shouting.

"I don't care." She snapped. "Handle it."

Handle it? Or someone...

"Please, Alex. If this is about my father I need to know." I pleaded with her, trying to break through her stoic walls.

She finally looked at me properly. Then spoke quietly. "It's not him." She promised.

I watched her closely, looking for any sign of deception, but found none. So I had to believe her.

"Then why can you not tell me?" I asked.

The elevator chimed merrily letting us know that we had arrived. The man from earlier suddenly materialised and spewed out more pleasantries. For his sake I really hoped that he didn't linger. Alex was clearly in a bad place and any form of annoyance could finish her self control.

"Oh, Scorpion, I do hope you enjoyed your time here once again. If there is anything more—"

"No." She growled as she glared death into his eyes. The man instantly shrunk away from her and appeared at my side instead. I almost groaned. Coming to me was an even worse idea.

"Miss Avery I really do hope I--we have the pleasure of seeing you here again—"

In a move that no one could see coming Alex had whipped around and shoved the barrel of a concealed plasma gun underneath the man's jaw. He let out a cry of shock and fear and whimpered uncontrollably.

"Alex!" I shouted in shock. Her eyes didn't leave his. She clicked the safety off slowly. His eyes filled with tears now as he realised how close he was to death.

"Pl--please." He choked out.

Her eyes were so full of darkness that I actually took a step back in fear and shock. Her eyes didn't miss the detail though and it was the only thing that brought her back to the world of sense and not death. Her eyes widened a fraction when she saw the raw horror on my face.

"Makayla..." She tried.

I shook my head and walked the other way.

I heard a sob of relief and then footsteps rapidly approaching. Her hand touched my shoulder and I actually flinched.

"Don't!" I shouted, whirling to face her. She dropped her arm instantly with a pained expression. "I don't know who that was back there. I don't know if that is you, or another version, or even just a mask but I despise it Alex." I finished, levelling her with my eyes that still held fear in them.

Maybe it had taken me to know and see the good in her to make me realise how bad the other dark side truly is.

She watched me saying nothing. I'm not sure I wanted her to anyway.

"I need some time." I stated. "Go back to your people and take care of whatever it is that's so damn important." I muttered.

"You are important." She murmured not meeting my eyes.

I shook my head. "Just go."

She looked at me sadly. Then sighed. "I keep hurting you... I'm not sure how many chances you will give me, Makayla. But I hope you do give me another because you mean more to me than you know." She barely spoke the last part.

My heart constricted in my chest but I willed my emotions not to take hold of my voice. "I'll see you tonight. And you can either tell me what's going on. Or you won't." I said with finality.

She nodded slowly. Then placed her hand to hear ear and murmured to one of her men to bring a fusion craft. The personal guards on standby had one hovering in front of me in moments. Alex opened the door for me and held it open for a moment.

"For what it's worth. I very much enjoyed bringing you here and I hope you feel the same." She said quietly.

I was about to respond but one of her guards beat me to it.

"Scorpion, we must move now. Our window is closing." He said gravely.

She stood from the door with the mask back in place and a gang leader once more. She caught my eyes only for a moment before shutting the door. I couldn't look at her anymore. Instead I caught myself looking down at the beautiful flower attached to my shirt. It was starting to wilt already but I refused to discard it despite it's new flaws... It was still beautiful to me.