Chapter 11(cont)

Even the cold hearted Mai Naira couldn't help but be shaken. Everyone raised their heads up,trying to confirm with their eyes what their ears have heard. It was as strange as it gets because Barau was known to be a calm and benign living thing. He was an energetic,boisterous and sometimes a garrulous individual who had this ability to make people laugh in face or times of difficulty. His loyalty to money was legendary though,that fact they were conversant with. Little did they know that he had ambitions. And a man with ambitions,"an at all cost ambition " has no conscience. Everyone in the hall was still trying to recollect themselves from the shock when Barau,spoke for the first time after his treachery and betrayal.

"All of you..." He said panting. His blood shot eyes reminded someone of palm oil. His countenance, holozoic,was a clear diversion of the mildness he was known for. His face had no place for smiles. He stared with naked intent into nothingness, practically bully ragging everyone into guessing,an act they did with little or no success. His eyes wandered back and the muscles flexing in his face became a bit relaxed. He continued.

  "All of you..since none of you respect me,I'll get my crown myself. Ever since we started this campaign, Iro and others have always treated me like a non living thing. I'm the one he calls when he needs something done. I'm also the one he calls when he needs someone to insult and ridicule. You think I'll just take this lying low? When I have the 3 of them under my control? I have evidences,incriminating evidences that'll destroy the 3 of  them. I know their dirty secrets. I know what they did to get to where they're. You think I'll just accept their nonsense? You think so? "
He asked rhetorically.No one dared to answer or they didn't really bother to. They were all concerned with what he was going to do to them after the elections. Their thoughts was interrupted by Barau's endless chirps.

"As for Hajiya Talle, I killed her. She was becoming a problem. She thought too much of herself and felt the need to be compulsorily consulted before any major party decision is taken. I can't live with that. She had to go....and go,she did"

If anyone doubted the seriousness or sincerity of Barau's devilish intentions,what they just heard was a confirmation. That Barau went as far as eliminating Hajiya Talle,his godmother and benefactor, showed he was ready to bring down anything that stands his way..anything.

"After that " he continued " all these imams. Some are very shameless. I bribed a few of them and urged them not to attend her funeral. A few rejected but majority did accept. Yaro was lucky I didn't meet him or that Malam Ishaq. I'd have ended their sojourns on earth..."

Amazing.

"Alhaji Sabi'u isn't as rich as he used to be. He is just trying to maintain the public perception of his financial capacity. The money in the store was taken...by me. Ask him,he'll be too...."

Sabiu didn't allow him to finish. He jumped and made for where Barau was standing only to receive a muscular slap from one of Barau's boys. His teeth flew out with so much speed and power that one would suspect a connivance between the gums..a vendetta of sort to immediately, throw out,with excessive vigour, the teeth. It came crashing on the floor and Alhaji Sabiu,shamefully coiled back into position. His eyes emitted very hot tears but his throat was blocked so the cries was muted and stiffled.The slap went as far the throat. Other members watched in fright,not knowing if to hope or to fight.
Barau enjoyed every bit of what was going. He kept reassuring himself,in his head,of the correctness of what he was doing.

" This is what happens to people who feel they can fight. Those that want to fight should  be quick to indicate. Well gladly oblige. "

No one moved. Who'll dare? Barau continued his talks.

"I'm going to spare everyone today but before that,I'll ask for a favour. A very little favour. One that won't be too much for anyone to give"

He made for the votes scattered on the table, picked one of them up and scrutinized it.

"I want you,Alhaji Iro,to declare me the winner of this primary election and the party's flag bearer in the forthcoming general elections. That is all I want."

  "But Barau..sorry Alhaji Barau .." Mai Naira talked for the first time. His voice gave away the strength he was trying to put on.

"Alhaji? That's funny. When did I become Alhaji?"

"No Sir.. Just that..you know.. as a good person.. as a.."

"Just shut up".

Barau picked up another card. His eye caught something that made him look for a place to sit. He sat down,taking alongside him,a bunch of other cards. He started to study them very carefully, using his hands to draw lines,lines of which nobody knows. After scrutinizing about 30 of such cards,he bursted into laughter..

" Duniya! Abun mamaki na faruwa.( Surprise never ends)! These delegates! Did you know that you've been cheated? You've been played! All the votes I'm seeing here are under Alhaji Iro's name! He was going to announce himself as the winner! Haha! I bet you didn't see that coming!! "

There was an instant explosion of noise. Barau gave them the freedom to sit. He had them where he wanted. Now, what they need do is to unite. The delegates were visibly angry and irritated. All of a sudden, Iro ran. The strength he exerted and the speed surprised even himself.

"Don't allow him" came a voice from behind. It was too late however. He left but not after being hit with a stick. He bled profusely but still made it.
The delegates were still coming to terms with what happened when Alhaji Sabiu made for the window. A pointed edge pierced through his clothes and papers made waves in the air. Alhaji Sabiu had his own cards with his name chosen,tucked under his clothes! It was incredible a sight!
Barau shrugged his shoulders and nodded his head...

"Humans!!! Dan Adam!! Bil Adama!!"