prologue

This is it. I think to myself, putting the last book into the box that has the letters "Mina" written on it. I look around, ending up staring at the blank wall where my wardrobe used to be and my desk used to stand.

Weird. Even though I only lived in Korea for almost a year, it feels like I've been here for ages not knowing anything else than this language, food or music. I sigh and close the box, wrapping some tape around it before placing it in the just as empty living room.

In a few days all of this will be my past and I actually don't quite know what I should feel like. I tried so hard to find a job that makes me happy and even made a handful of friends, but it just does not feel right.
I don't really feel accepted here and working in a tiny restaurant is not that fulfilling in general. Even though my little brother always said that I am the best cook in the universe for him, after all the time working there the feeling of being able to do more - or at least something meaningful - burned up in me.

Over all these months I did not even manage to find someone that can eventually fall in love with me. Of course, I had some nice conversations, but they all turned out to be the typical "omg-you-look-so-different-and-your-eyes-are-so-beautiful-and-big" kinds of smalltalks. My thoughts get interrupted by my favourite song that suddenly starts playing.

My Phone-

I glare down at the phone in my hands and the picture of a widely smiling black-haired girl stares back at me. Hani.

For a second I hesitate to pick up since I'm kind of tired from the day and I still have a couple of things to do and I did not eat anything yet and the song is so beautiful and-

"Hani-Unnie! What are you up to? I just finished packing everything in my-"

"Minaaaaaa I want to see you! We don't have that much time leeeeeft and I am so saaad!"

Why do I feel like she is doing aegyo even though I cannot see her...?

"Ahhh of course. Uhm, I haven't eaten anything yet, do you want to grab dinner together? I am actually staving right now."

"That's a very good Idea. I know a good place! We can go there, eat and have some drinks together afterwards. Okay?"

I actually don't like dri-

"Yeah, sure, I'd love that! Shall we meet around 8pm? Is that okay for you?"

"Yes yes yes! Aw, I am so happy, I get to see Mina!"

"You're so cute, Unnie." I say, hearingly smiling to myself, "I'm happy I'll get to see you, too!"

After watching my phone's screen turning black I stand up and search for the suitcase that I prepared for the few remaining days. Even though the ones inside are not my prettiest clothes, it should be okay. Hani has seen worse conditions of me. I take out some black ripped jeans, wrap a red-black checked shirt around my waist over a short white baseball shirt and put on my favourite snapback.

Do I really need makeup today? Nah. I put on some mascara since my skin got better during the time I've lived here and actually looks decent without makeup on it. After studying my face in the mirror I choose to untie my hair and let it fall down loosely. I feel like loose hair somehow protects me.

After finding my sneakers I call a taxi and prepare my purse for the evening.

9:02pm

I lay back in my chair, happily looking at my empty plate. Hani invited me to a big and modern restaurant with large windows that face the street, comfortable chairs, wooden tables and bar near the entrance. On the walls behind that bar, the menu is written in chalk letters, offering a huge variety of meat dishes, salads but as well cocktails and snacks. Many people are chatting, some are already noticeably tipsy. What a lively atmosphere. I already forgot how tired I am.