CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

ابدأ من البداية

Enfri couldn't put her finger on it, but there was something about Lord Seifer's manner that seemed familiar. As if she'd met someone who'd acted the same way, or spoke with the same vocabulary. Her eyes drifted towards the hat and cane held under his arm, and the feeling grew stronger.

She focused on that and that alone. Otherwise, she'd be confronted with how blustering gorgeous Lord Seifer was. Enfri was attracted to him. There was no getting around it. At the least, she could rest assured it wasn't for any Voice or forbidden spellcraft.

Garret, she thought in surprise. That's where I've seen him before. Lord Seifer's almost like... the nobleman Garret is trying to imitate.

"Thank you for putting it kindly, my lord," Enfri said. "I promise a more suitable reception when I return. Until then, you might familiarize yourself with the land and Shan Alee. Princess Pacifica Romov will be acting as regent while I and the first minister are both absent, and she will see to your needs."

Lord Seifer returned his top hat to his head with a flourish. "Ah, of course. My dear Starra's new apprentice, the Lady of Diamonds, and the recipient of Old Ambrose's bloodsong. I've heard a great deal of her and look forward to our first meeting. I do regret arriving too late to meet Minister Reyn, however. From what I have heard, she will be leaving the Five Kingdoms this very moment."

"On a very important task for me," Enfri said.

"Without a doubt, Your Majesty. To travel to the far west and see what no living eyes in the Five Kingdoms have witnessed, I envy her the opportunity but not the momentous responsibility. The first minister's successful return will be one further event I shall look forward to with great anticipation. Not only for the opportunities of resuming trade with Espalla and the Jade Empire, but in meeting the young woman who has so thoroughly ensorcelled the heart of my daughter."

Enfri smiled fondly. "They are rather taken with each other. I didn't see it coming, to be honest, but it's good to see them both happy."

"Ah, I'm being talked about." Starra arrived in the herb garden, looking ravishing in what appeared to be the outfit of a Spired City ruffer girl. "Apologies for interrupting, my empress, but I thought you should know the first minister's delegation has just departed."

"Winds see them safely back," Enfri said, half in prayer.

"We're agreed, then," Starra sighed.

There was a slight puffiness to the skin around her eyes, making it plain to Enfri that Starra had taken a moment for herself to cry over Reyn's leaving before coming to report. It put a sympathetic ache in her heart. When she first witnessed Starra and Reyn's initial interactions, she'd never have guessed all that blatant flirting and superficially antagonistic behavior were merely a camouflage for emotions so deep and consuming. It reminded Enfri that there was no one face of love, and it wasn't always easy to recognize it at first glance.

Lord Seifer took his daughter's arm in a smooth motion. "My dear, you are a braver soul than we deserve."

Starra clucked her tongue. "Quite enough, Da..." She cleared her throat. "Father. I trust you've made your oaths?"

"As well as can be done for now," Seifer replied. He released Starra's arm and came forward to take Enfri's hand. He knelt down in the tilled soil before placing a light kiss on her knuckles.

"My lord," Enfri gasped. "Your fine clothes..."

"My empress, how could I call myself a man if I am not willing to take the same measures as my liege?" He rose to his feet. "The fealty of myself and my house belong solely to you, Your Majesty. I've seen enough already to know that I will not come to regret it."