two; short-shorts

Start from the beginning

            "Hey, where's Charlie?" Steve asked Mary as he reached over her, taking the cigarette out from Mary's mouth and popping it into his own, taking a long drag and Mary shrugged.

             "No idea. But then again, is it really unusual for Charlie to be late?" She asked, arching a single eyebrow and Steve pulled his lips downwards in a face of agreement; Charlie lived just on the outskirts of town, meaning it usually took him a while to drive into town.

Suddenly, Mary's eyes were lighting up with mischief, "Okay but, talking about boyfriends and girlfriends —"

            "No one talking about boyfriends or girlfriends, Mare." Steve spoke over her, a hazy cloud of smoke coming from his mouth with each word and Tommy started laughing, already seeing what Mary was getting at.

             Mary nodded, mocking understanding, "Oh yeah, sure, I forgot. Steve Harrington's too cool for girlfriends," She said, putting on a fake deeper voice as she teased him, shaking her head as she did, making Steve put his head down with a laugh, "Because I mean, having a girlfriend would mean actually paying attention to someone other than your own reflection in a mirror, right?" She continued, a smirk working it's way onto his lips.

"So, my question is — what's the deal with you and Wheeler?" She asked, leaning against him and looking up with a coy smile but Steve simply inhaled before blowing the smoke out onto her face. However, it didn't phase her.

   Mary edged closer, "What kinda thing turns little Miss Perfect on?" Suddenly Mary was sitting up straighter, putting her hand over her heart and crossing her legs in a ladylike manor, "Oh, Steve! Read me that calculus book! Oh yeah, Steve! Hit me with those maths questions!" She falsely cried in a mocking sexual voice, closing her eyes and both Tommy and Carol erupted into laughter.

"Yeah, Steve!" Carol joined in, "Talk mathematics to me!" She yelled and their commotion had gained the attention of a few passerby students and the group laughed loudly, not caring for anyone's opinions — it's not like it mattered what the rest of the student body thought of them as long as they knew they were on top.

Steve was grinning ear to ear in amusement, "Alright, alright. That's enough." He chuckled and Mary threw her head back onto Steve's shoulder, hair falling down her shoulders and out of her face as she mocked adoration.

"What? No! You can't stop there! You haven't told her about the First World War yet —"

         "That's it!" Steve exclaimed, stubbing the cigarette out on the hood of the car before lunging for Mary whom squealed loudly, jumping off the car with a giggle and making a run for it.

           But Steve was faster than her and soon his arms were wrapping around her waist and tugging her back with such a force she let out a small scream as he spun her around, her legs leaving the ground for a brief moment.

            He was laughing from behind her, his chest to her back and arms around her waist that she clung onto, "Anymore of your bullshit, Mary and we may have to exclude you from the group." He told her, his tone of voice joking and Mary gasped dramatically, throwing her head back, resting it on Steve's shoulder.

            "Oh, the horror!" She exclaimed, "How will I ever survive without your presence, Steve Harrington! And Carol and Tommy? The world won't be the same without your disgusting making out sessions!" She cried mockingly, her face a picture of theatre horror.

          Steve was laughing and she were too, along with Tommy and Carol, "Oh jeez, how would anyone survive without having that in their life?" Another voice said and Mary's face lit up upon seeing her boyfriend she thought almost wouldn't show up for school walking towards them with his hands pushed in his leather jacket; a gift from Steve two birthdays back that was beginning to just fit him.

          Steve let her go and she pressed a quick kiss to Charlie's lips who's arm went around her waist, just before the bell went and all four of them groaned loudly, throwing their heads back. Knowing it was time to put behind the fun they could be having and exchange it for learning — all to be stuck in the same toxic town their whole life.

           Mary snatched her bag off the hood of Steve's car, throwing it over her shoulder as the group began walking towards the school doors, everyone making way for them — like they always did. Sometimes social status came in handy when the hallways were crowded.

             Mary looked up to Charlie, her lips twisted sarcastically as he held her hand, "Welcome back to Hawkins High School, where the kids wish they were dead and would be better off dead — enjoy your education that's going to go down the drain in a few years. Have a nice day." She sang bitterly, pausing briefly as she stopped outside her first class and Charlie chuckled, a gorgeous smile on his face.

He kissed her hard on the lips and she returned the pressure, not phased they were in the hallways of their school "See you in bio — I hope you studied for the test." He chirped as he began walking down the hallway backwards and Mary furrowed her brows.

Her mouth opened, eyes widening in horror as she tried to find her boyfriend whom disappeared into the crowd of teenagers, "Test?! What test?! Charlie!"

                             ———

          Mary is my spirit animal.

           Also keep the comments going! It means a lot to me and I really want to know how you all are feeling about this fic :')!