"You can't blame a girl for trying." She said a bit breathless as I gazed down at her. Before she could continue I blurted out.

"Do you not trust me."

"That has nothing to do with—"

"Yes or no." I stated flatly.

"Obviously. How else would I be here." She exhaled with a small smile.

I moved closer to her until mere inches separated us. Her eyes widened a fraction but stayed on me. Even when I brought a hand up to move her chaotic hair away from her face.

"Would I let anything harm you." I stated, looking at her closely.

She paused before answering. "Well, that depends on your mood." She shrugged easily.

I laughed before shaking my head. I set her back on her feet and drew back. "The answer I believe you are looking for is no. I just want one day where I can show you the city that you haven't yet seen. Show you how I have seen the world and not have the threat of an empire weighing down on us or death hanging over our heads." I paused and watched her eyes take in my words.

I think I saw relief in them or maybe even content. I offered her my hand. "So, if you could just trust that this day will not involve any of our pasts, that would be greatly appreciated."

She looked down at my hand and then up at me.

"I'll drive." She stated.

My jaw hung open. It didn't take a moment before she burst into hysterics and walked around me towards the cycle. "Come on then, Scorpion. As much fun as it is taunting you... we're wasting light." She called over her shoulder.

I shook my head as I jogged to catch up with her. God help us all if Makayla Xavier was behind the wheel of a fusion cycle. The entire empire would be at its knees by sundown. I snorted at the thought.

Makayla looked at me questioningly. I just shook my head and held a firm grip on the ignition key bar.

* * * * * *

After the first 10 minutes of sailing through the skies and buildings of Sector 48, Makayla finally started to relax her death grip around my waist.

I spoke into the comm linked to her in our helmets. "I was under the impression you weren't going to let me breath for the entire journey."

She poked me in the ribs.

"Eyes on the sky."

"Yes ma'am." I mock saluted with a hand.

"Where are we going anyway?"

"Verde." I stated simply knowing she had no clue as to where and what that meant.

She sighed into the comm. "Always as cryptic as ever."

"Trust me, you will approve." I replied with sureness.

"What is it with you and your trust issues today?" She said wryly with a smile in her voice.

"One more word and I will show you what speed this cycle can really do." I stated in all seriousness.

Her silence spoke volumes. I smiled and kept my eyes on the sky ahead. We weren't far now anyway. I could see the towering building emerge from the stone and metal like a beacon. It was the tallest and most expensive structure in all sectors from 30 to 52. It was a true testament to the designers and architects who didn't have the budget of Sector 1 but went for it anyway.

To be honest it was more beautiful to me than any of the structures in the city.

In fact I didn't realise how nervous I was to await Makayla's reaction to it. this was the building my eyes always looked up to in awe as a child. The one diamond in the rough and a symbol that greatness could rise from anywhere. Would she see it that way...