A New Life - @ChristopherArmstron8 - StonePunk

Start from the beginning

Soured by such an ugly thought, I cleaned the scraper and after returning it to the basket of tools, walked down to the surf. Standing with my feet covered by the flowing tide, I stared off across the vast water. Gulls returning from a day of fishing the ocean cried out as they winged their way to their nests in the nearby cliffs. Just at the edge of my sight a whale spouted water from its blowhole, announcing its presence to all.

Enthralled by the sights and sounds of the sea, I did not hear the approaching footsteps or the shout warning. I grunted in surprise as a force barreled into me, sending me flying into the shallows. Coughing from the sudden dip and spitting and and water from my mouth I glared at my attacker.

Eyes glittering with anger Jasper stood over me and demanded, "What was that all about?"

Assuming that he meant my words a few moments ago I replied, "You were right to say Breehzh is yours. I gave her up so that you could have her. I don't know why her parents would want to take her away from you now?"

"Don't play games with my Bracken, I know you want her back. Telling her parents so after all the gifts you brought back and that boat was all the reason they needed," Jasper yelled.

"Get it through your head brother, I have no interest in Breehzh. You and she are soul mates now. My interests in women will be elsewhere, if there are any at all. Besides if I wanted your wife would I have given you and her all those things?" I replied. "No, I would have presented her parents with them and asked them to take her away from you. But I did not and I have no desire to."

"You better," he shouted over his shoulder as he walked up the beach.

Wet and tired after arguing with my brother, I after getting up and out of the water made my way back to my hut. Stripping out of my wet clothes and putting on dry ones, I started a small fire. Today had been more than enough for me and all I wanted now was to cook a piece of hare and then lie down for a nap. Fighting with my brother had diminished my will to work and even cooking the hare was difficult. Tomorrow's hunt for seals would be good for me, and perhaps I would begin to consider who would make a good soul mate from the eligible women of the tribe.

Oart! Oart!

"Oh come on you damn thing, can't you swim straight," I yelled, cursing the seal's constant turns and dives. Finding my prey had been easy enough, but three hours had gone by as it had led my on a chase on the open sea. Luckily the sea was calm but calm was not helping me get the seal into my boat.

As is knowing that I was thinking about him, the seal surfaced just out of spear range. Glaring at it I considered shooting it with my bow and chasing it until it died from blood loss or simply gave up running. Before I could the beast dove below the surface, leaving me to wait for it to reappear.

Growling at my bad luck, I stood waiting for it to surface. While I waited my thoughts turned to what I was going to do with the seal if I got it. Weighing well over two hundred pounds the seal would provide me with at least a hundred pounds of oil, blubber, and meat. Unable to use it al before it spoiled in the early summer heat, I would have to share at lest half to it with someone. After yesterday's fight I had no desire to give any to Jasper, and Ecko's family had more than enough food to feed themselves. Breehzh's family was a possibility but last time I had brought them food was to ask them for their permission for me to have Breehzh as my soul mate. No they would not do.

Oart Oart Oart!

Announcing his presence the seal bobbed up and down in the water to my right. Noting that it had come closer this time, I clenched the harpoon tightly with both hands. Drifting closer with the current, I without a sound cast the harpoon at the seal.