the call

martinus pov//

taco night. our favorite night of the week. honestly everything is better when we have these family dinners.

no tours, no concerts, just a nice break at home. i cant tell you how much i've missed home.

marcus and i were gone for so long and each day it got harder to be away from home. now we are back and better than ever.

we were all sitting around the table, eating and laughing together. everyone seemed so happy.

marcus-"aw my taco broke!"

emma-"that's because you stuff so much food in it!"

martinus-"that is so true."

dad-"now i think we can all agree that marcus eats a lot of tacos!"

marcus-"hey!"

mom-"marcus is a taco lover!"

little moments like this is what makes me love my family so much. we all really got each other.

everyone was laughing over marcus and his broken taco, when the phone started to ring. it was mom's phone.

mom-"i wonder who that is."

she picked up her phone from the counter.

mom-"hello?"

there was a moment of silence. she rested the phone on her shoulder.

mom-"yes this is she, who is calling?"

i watched her expression fade quickly. her face went pale, like she had just been told the worst news of her life.

mom-"that is just awful. what are they going to do with her?"

i wanted to know what was happening. i turned towards dad and he didnt know either.

mom-"is there anyone i can call to finish this conversation with, i'm in the middle of a dinner right now."

she walked over to get a pen and a notepad. she stared to scribble down a number.

mom-"thank you mrs. lament we will keep in touch."

she hung up the phone. she sat down at the table and seemed upset.

martinus-"mom what was that about?"

mom-"nothing to worry about boys."

dad-"who was it?"

mom-"it is not a dinner table discussion. we can finish it later kjell, we must not bring it up now."

nobody asked further questions. none of us wanted to upset mom more than she clearly was.

dinner had ended soon after that. mom and dad sent us upstairs so they could have their conversation. i was just so curious.

marcus and i were in my room both on our phones.

marcus-"who do you think they were talking about martinus?"

martinus-"i have no idea."

marcus-"want to go find out?"

martinus-"how so?"

marcus-"let's go listen in on their conversation."

i thought about it for a moment. seemed like a good idea.

martinus-"let's go."

we both went by the steps and tried to listen. we could hear their conversation but we came right in the middle of it.