𝟬𝟯. 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘀𝗹𝘂𝗴𝘀

Start from the beginning

The Gryffindor Quidditch team had started their morning practice by the time Matilda was a few chapters into her book. She didn't even glance up to acknowledge that they existed. The book had gotten far too interesting for her to look away from.

She could hear the whizzing of their brooms. There were times when they'd fly over her, a little lower than what was usual, and Matilda's hair would fly with it, and tangle on the top of her head.

Though she hadn't noticed that the Gryffindors had stopped. The sun was fully in the sky now and the morning dew had started to dry on the grass. There was still a bit of a chill in the air but it wasn't nearly as cold as when she first sat on the bench.

Matilda had just closed her book, finishing up for the morning, she was planning to go to the library and search their shelves for something interesting she could take with her when she finished what she was reading now. The bookmark poking out from the pages indicated that it wouldn't be much longer and she'd need something else to read.

But the arguing stopped her. Just stepping off the bleacher Matilda walked upon the Gryffindor and Slytherin team, arguing, nose-to-nose. Oliver Wood's face had gone so red that she thought he might explode. Matilda didn't have a watch but she assumed it was far too early for Oliver to have called practice already. Normally he'd have them in the air for hours practicing drills and going over plays.

Normally they wouldn't allow someone from another house to sit in the stands during their practice time. But Matilda had made it very clear last year that she had no interest in spying for the Ravenclaw team, nor any team. For if a team couldn't win on their own, they weren't worthy of her support. And she hated the game. She just liked the noise and the reading space. Eventually, Oliver stopped causing a fuss and let her stay.

It was clear though that the Slytherin Quidditch team wasn't invited to observe though. They'd stepped in before their allotted practice team.

Matilda did not wish to involve herself in such matters, but as she walked back to the castle entrance, she couldn't help but stop. She liked a scene. So, Matilda decided she'd stay to see how this all might play out.

But she was not going to get involved.

Flint, the Slytherin's Quidditch Team Captain began reading a slip in his hands. His buck teeth and pimple-covered face made Matilda squirm. The slip had been signed by Snape apparently, insisting that the Slytherins have field priority since they'd be training a new Seeker.

"You've got a new Seeker?" said Wood, distracted. "Where?"

And from behind the six large figures before them came a seventh, smaller boy, smirking all over his pale, pointed face. It was Draco Malfoy.

Matilda rolled her eyes. She now could understand why the Slytherin's Quidditch team were all holding newer-looking, advanced flying brooms. Even though she knew there were a few on the team that wouldn't have been able to afford such an item.

"Aren't you Lucius Malfoy's son?" said Fred Weasley, looking at Malfoy with dislike.

Matilda didn't know how she'd been able to tell him from his twin, George, but she did. Unless she didn't and was being tricked, as they so often like to do so people.

"Funny you should mention Draco's father," said Flint as the whole Slytherin team smiled still more broadly. "Let me show you the generous gift he's made to the Slytherin team."

All seven of them held out their broomsticks. Seven highly polished, brand-new handles and seven sets of fine gold lettering spelling the words Nimbus Two Thousand and One gleamed under the Gryffindors' noses in the early morning sun.