Chapter XXXV

I miss our old house. 

Thinking about it makes me wonder "what happened after we left?". I hope my dad is alright, even though he had been shot in his knee last night. It also makes me think if we go back there today, will the house still feel like home?

I woke up from my old bed, seeing the rays of the sun as it perceives through the windows of my bedroom. The pastel blue color of my bedroom makes me miss my old bedroom color at home. We stayed at my grandmother's house—from my mother's side.

She lives a bit further from our house, but not really far. It was located in between cities, where the beautiful sunrise and sunsets are. Granny's house is huge but, I never feel like I belonged here, not even once.

Maybe it's just a lingering feeling that I have. A feeling of not being able to fit in at my own house—our own house. I did my usual morning routine, afterward, I went downstairs to grab some breakfast. 

I'm skipping school today. 

It's not because I don't feel like going to school or maybe today's the Father-Daughter/Son field trip of our school. My mom told me it's better to stay here at home for a while because we don't know what will happen next, after the gun shooting that happened last night. 

"Hailey," Mom said, placing the hot pan on the sink and rinsed it with some water to cool the temperature down, "Let's go," she said.

"Just give me a minute to change my clothes," I said and she nodded her head in approval. My dad called mom at around 5 AM earlier, telling her that we should meet up with him and he could explain what happened.

As much as Mom doesn't want to see his face at the moment, she needs some answers to her questions. We both do need answers because I don't want to get mad at my dad without knowing the real reason.

I went upstairs and grabbed a black and white strip hoodie and some leggings. I slipped on my white converse and went downstairs. My mom grabbed the keys to her car and we left Nana's house in just a second.

It took us 15 minutes to arrive at our destination, which is the Local Coffee Shop. I always wanted to try and work as a barista. I don't know why but when I was at around 6 years old, my mom took me to a coffee shop when it was raining in mid-September.

And there I was, fascinated by the barista making the drinks for us. It kind of looks cool, maybe only for me. We hopped out of the vehicle and went inside the coffee shop, waiting for my dad. I ordered a Hot Chocolate and my mom ordered a Latte.

My mom taps her fingers on the desk nonchalantly, waiting for my dad to arrive. Minutes later, he soon arrives at the coffee shop. When he sees where we are, he starts walking in our direction. 

"Honey," Dad said, directing it to mom. I looked at the both of them and mom doesn't want to peck his cheek as dad waits for it, when he knew that he wasn't going to receive a peck on the cheek, he sat down.

"Here's your Hot Chocolate and Latte, Enjoy!" The waitress said, placing our hot beverages on the coffee table. I took a sip of my hot chocolate and waited for them to say something.

"How's school?" My dad asked. "Don't you have a Father-Daughter field trip to attend to?" If my dad is here with us, to explain the situation then Emily isn't going on the field trip?

"How can I go when I don't have a dad to go with?" I said coldly as I took another sip of my hot beverage. My dad knows that I didn't mean to say that in a cold tone, he just knows that I said that because I was hurting.