Chapter 28

"Here is your coffee"

Zach carefully placed Zhaira's coffee on the table and sat across her.

"So? Kamusta ka na?"

After sipping her coffee, she stared at Zach as if he was the most adorable thing that  her eyes had ever seen.

"I happen to follow someone's wise advice"

"And that is?"

"To take time"

Zach nods and smiled

"I took time Zach. To breathe and think. Look back and realize"

"From what I am seeing now, it is helping you"

"It is"

She breathes in and out and stared outside through the glass walls.

"I talked to dad, finally I answered his phone calls after the hundreds of calls I missed."

"How was it?"

"I said yes, Zach"

"You said yes? You will take over your family business?"

"Yes, Zach"

"Pero akala ko hindimoyun gusto"

"I don't have to like it Zach, it is my family's lifeblood. I have to help"

"I know you will. You've always been like this"

"What?"

"Helping out, even if at your own expense"

"Am I?"

Zach diverted his thought to avoid reminiscing the past and Zhaira noticed it.

"So anong gagawin mo pagbalikmo? Office ka agad?"

"Well first, kailangan kongmagtapossa college"

"FINALLY! akala ko balak mong mag suma-sampung taon sa college eh ha ha ha"

"Ha Ha Ha very funny, now you're starting to sound like dad. That's why he likes you so much eh. You two are so muck alike"

"Ha Ha Ha because you really have to finish! Mag-babarko nalang ako ikaw magma-marcha palang"

Zhaira's radiant smile turned into a doubtful stare at Zach's.

"Barko? You're leaving?"

He breathes in deeply.

"Oo eh. Pinag-re-ready na ako kasi baka biglang may bumaba at magkaroon  ng schedule"

"So sudden"

"It's not actually. Halos isang taon din akong nag-hintay. Kaya akonagtrabahomunadito after training para may income naman habang wala pa"

"Perosinanay"

"I really don't want to leave her, but you know her, she wouldn't want me to be stuck here because of my concerns regarding her. So I'm wondering if you could"

"Of course I will! No need to ask. With dad training me, I'm sure mapapadalas ang luwasko dito. I will look after her"

"Thanks Zhai. Mas mapapalagayako knowing you will be there for her"

A minute of silence hindered between them.

"So, Zach, have you told Liane?"

Zach nodded yes.

"Is it okay with her?"

"I actually don't know Zhai. She was so happy that finally nagkaroon na ako ng chance but"

"But what?"

He leans his back on the chair and tap his fingers on the table.

"I don't know. This is my first time to admit that there is something wrong and to be honest, it is intimidating telling this to you"

"Well, maybe you just have to talk to her"

"Just like what you did with Raul?" He teased

"Oh, okay, so where did you? Oh wait, Liane told you"

"Ha Ha she did tell me she saw you with Raul, but hula ko langyungpaglalagaymong closure"

"It needs to happen Zach. I am such a lazy person that it took me intoxicating months to do so. But, I took the time. So should you. Take the time and talk to her"

"Yep, I will"

After a few minutes of talking about what happened within the past weeks of them not seeing each other, Zach stared at Zhaira as she drinks her coffee. Lost in his reverie, Zach smiles from ear to ear and find himself shaking his head and giggles.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Wala lang. I remember yung time na ginantihan kita sa prank mo, yung nilagyan ko ng pupu ng aso yung favorite yellow boots mo ha ha ha"

"Eehwww Zach. That smell! It took a week before it went off"

"Ha Ha you're too cute when you cried back then"

"Hmm. Can I ask?"

"What?"

"Of all the memories we had, bakityungkiss from grade five pa ang una mong pina-alala sa akin nung unakong dating dito? "

"Well,"

"Oh, I know! Because I've stolen your heart too?!!! Ayeeeee Zach ha. Ang bata pa natin non humaharot kana pala ha ha ha"

"You wished!"

"sussss!"

"Ubusin mo na yang kapemo, I have things to do"

He kept smiling as he left her with her coffee. As he placed the new items on the shelves, he peeks at her, enjoying her coffee while browsing through her phone. Glancing at his friend, even from a far makes his heart swell with joy and utter adoration.

"You did'nt steal it Zhaira. I surrendered it wholeheartedly, to you" He whispered.

~ You smile, I smile.