Chapter 24

In the town's public market, Zhaira help Rosa  buys  her groceries.

"Salamat naman at binisita mo ako nak. Eh simula nung nag-graveyard shift si Zach ako nalang lagi dito sa bahay, bihira na kaming magkasama"

"Nay alam niyo naman pong hindi kita kayang mahihindian eh"

"Alamko. Teka, okay langba kayo ni Zach?"

"Nanay, alam niyo naman po ang relasyon namin ni Zach simulat sapul"

"OO nga. Para kayonglangis at tubignamahirappagsamahin"

"Pero Nay, alam po ba ni Zach na pinapunta niyo ako? Eh alam niyo naman po yung girlfriend nun daig pa ang NBI sa pag-soco"

'Bahay ko yun, bisita kita parte ka ng pamilya namin"

They agreed to let that issue go. Zhaira was contented to see Rosa is being joyful for her visit.

While Zach's mother cooks for their lunch, Zhaira helps peel and cut the vegetables on the table but seems bothered.

"Oh, dahananlangiha"

'Opo nay"

Rosa recognized the dullness in Zhaira's eyes. She's staring  at the peeled vegetables and spices, but her mind wanders in a different place and time. Rosa sat down beside her and gently rub her back.

"Zhai anak, may sasabihin kabakaynanay?"

"Miss ko na mga luto niyo nay, lalo na ang sopas"

"Well, na-miss din kitangipag-luto"

"I bet Zach will be furious about you, cooking for me and not for him"

"Oh hayaan mo siya. He took his co-worker's schedule kung satutuusindapatpansamantalalangyun"

"Really? I never thought Zach would love such schedule, he doesn't like staying up all night or even waking up so early in the morning"

"Well, he is the same"

"Then why not switch it again"

"Siguro there's more to see during those hours, you know Zach masyadongmapagmatyag at masyadong malawak ang pag-iisip. Gusto lahatsubukan"

"So your son want to discover life during those dead hours"

"Oo. That's something he would do. Or maybe..."

"Maybe what?"

 "Maybe he wants to help a friend"

"Of course, nay, a co-worker is a friend to Zach. Walang masamangtinapay sa anak niyo eh"

Rosa stared at her.

"What I mean is an old friend"

  Zhaira wouldn't want to assume, but asked Rosa about her joke.

"Nay, you don't think that Zach would"

"Oh you know Zach. Matulungin"

She shook her head and continue cutting potatoes. Rosa stood up and went back to her cooking.

"Don't worry nak. Hindi natin siya bubukuhin"

Zhaira kept on shaking her head and smiling at the thought.

~ I let my muted actions scream for my adoration of you. And I will let your unconscious heart hear it.