Chapter *22*

My world slowed down for what felt like an hour. My breathing became erratic and my palms started to sweat. It was like I just experienced a wrinkle in time.

"My old friend, Diquan, grew up in Memphis with me. We sold drugs for the same nigga. One day over the past summer my old boss, Andriques sent for me. Now I thought that he was gonna kill me or some. Not that I had done anything wrong. Turns out he wanted me to get rid of Quan. Andriques said Quan had been skimming some merchandise from him to sell on the side. Shit I knew Quan. He wouldn't do no dumb shit like that. Especially not when he got a daughter to take care of at home. It was such a fucked up situation."

Tyrie shook his head and took a sip of his wine. I could faintly hear the constant sound of his leg jumping up and down.

"Baby, you don't have to tell me anything else if you want. I don't want to push you too far. We can just enjoy our date if that's better for you."

He sighed in defeat. "No Tae, I should be completely honest with you after you have opened yourself up to me about everything that happened to you. Our relationship should have no secrets. I wanna be straight up with you about my past."

I stayed quiet and waited.

"Andriques wanted it done on Halloween. I knew about it for weeks in advance, but I purposely kept it quiet.", He chuckled dryly. "I mean, come on. I was best friends with the guy and still didn't tell him that some niggas wanted to kill him."

I gave his hand a pat.

"Baby, it's okay. You were just scared. But you helped him right?"

I silently prayed that he says yes. I don't know how to react to my man saying he knew about his friend being in danger and he was the one that was going to hurt him.

"I wanted to help him, I swear I did." He shook his head with a frustrated look.

"Quan and I were going to a party one night in June, at some random person's house. I had texted him that whole morning basically telling him what was gonna happen. He didn't reply to any of my messages, but I was so nervous that I didn't care about that. He was supposed to walk out before me, and I was going to pull my gun out and act like I shot him in the back. The bullet was supposed to go right over his shoulder. Only I didn't know that his crazy baby mama had stolen his phone over some petty shit the day before."

Tyrie banged his fist in the table, which caused a few people to look over. I quickly shushed him and told him to calm down. After he calmed down he went back to his story.

"This bitch saw the messages and didn't say shit. But it was all my fault though. If I had told him face to face weeks before then he wouldn't have gotten hurt man."

"Me and Quan went to the party and everything. When the time came for me to shoot at him he freaked out. I tried to get him to chill, but yeah he wasn't having it. Turns out Andriques sent some of his niggas to make sure I finished the job. A navy blue Cadillac  came out of nowhere and let out a clip into his stomach. I could hear the sounds of the bullets penetrating his body. The doctors said that h-he would be in a coma for months. Man, do you know how horrible it feels to tell a three year old that her daddy was shot and might never wake up. Shit broke my heart man. I left Memphis before I could tell him that I was sorry."

Tears were dripping down on my empty plate. My stomach was knotted up in a big ball. He couldn't think that all of that was his fault.

"Babe that was not all your fault. You tried to help. How could you have known that he wasn't the one reading the messages? You tried to help him even though you knew that you could get hurt. You left that life behind you. Now all you can do is try to move on to better things."

He nodded at me but didn't speak.

"Tyrie don't beat yourself up about this. I'm sure he knows that you were trying to help. If not, then we could try to contact him and explain the situation. Now, cheer up for me baby. I hate seeing someone I care about so sad."

"You right I guess. I'mma go ahead and enjoy this fancy ass dinner with my bad ass lil baby. By the way, have I told you how beautiful you look tonight? Looking like a sexy ass blueberry."

Annnndddd he's back.

I know this is short as hell. It was going to be longer, but I decided to make it into two chapters instead of dragging this on. Anyways I saw ALL of y'all's comments and I appreciate them so much. Please keep voting and commenting on the book. And you want you can leave suggestions on how u want the book to be. 902 words!!!