Chapter *67*

It was the Saturday before classes were meant to begin for the Fall semester. I had done all the necessary preparations: reading syllabi, buying supplies, updating my computer. I felt anxious, but weirdly prepared. No matter how hard college would be, it'd still be better than high school. 

Normally, Ty would be at the basketball court with his friends. This weekend they switched their usual game for a kickback at our crib. August, Trell, and E were being loud as hell in our little apartment. I just let them have their little boy fun because Ty looks like he's having a blast with his crew here playing video games and talking shit to each other.

Peaking from the kitchen, they all looked like an album cover. I had to admit that all of Ty's friends were very handsome. My living room looked like a poster for black boy joy.

"Were these niggas always so damn cute?" Mikayla joked watching the same thing I was. Ty had August in a chokehold, while Trell stole his signature glasses. August was pissed. It was so damn cute. "They looking like so damn middle school kids. There's no way they met each other months ago."

I laughed and shook my head. "Honestly, I'm just happy he found some people he liked. In high school he had friends, but he really didn't fuck with them. My baby was so mean. he stays wanting to stare somebody down like he is so big and bad."

We laughed at that. Everyone knows my baby was so mean when he wanted to be. 

"Have I told you how he knocked a guy out for talking crazy about me?"

Tyrie came around the corner sipping a beer. "He deserved it. Shouldn't have been fucking around, now he found out." He pecked my cheek and I crinkled my nose at the yeasty smell on his breath. I don't understand how he drinks that nasty stuff.

Our day turned into evening and before we all knew it, we settled into the living. Tyrie and I were cuddled up with me in his lap on a chair. Trell sat next to E, who was busy staring at Mikayla. We all agreed that August could take the floor.

Our conversation had shifted into a debate. Basically, a battle of the sexes. Well, aside from my boyfriend who barely paid attention to what was being said, and mostly kept his focus on nuzzling himself in my personal space.

"That's just like a man to think." Mikalya retorted at August who had made the bold statement that our generation of women wasn't wifey material. "I never understood how men were so comfortable telling women how to be a woman."

"Wait but y'all females do that too. I be seeing on tiktok of plenty of women fighting back by calling everything a nigga do sassy, or questioning our sexuality of placing boundaries." Trell argued back from the other side of the sofa.

I nodded at that. "True, but like you said it was in response to something men had done. I remember growing up and watching women be in the background of men just letting them do whatever. Women didn't use to be so comfortable telling men what a man was when men weren't trying to tell us what we should be. I don't need a man to tell me how I'm going to have to settle or be alone for the rest of my life simply because I have standards. It's giving he wants to be with a man since I don't know how to pick a good one."

"You got a good one. Don't get wild in here now." Tyrie objected.

I kissed him and apologized. "You right baby, you're the only good one I care about."

The room rolled their eyes at us. E spoke up in fake disgust. "I can't stand y'all. We talking about the fucked up dating pool and y'all wanna be over there in love and shit. Makes me sick."

"Why us? Mikayla is in love too." I laughed. "She isn't feeling any heat."

"Damn so it's fuck me huh?" She threw a decorative pillow at me. I stuck my tongue out while the guys put her in the hot seat.

E raised a brow at her. If she was in love then his attraction was a waste. That and she prefers the same sex.

August started rolling on the floor laughing. Trell kicked him off his feet when August rolled on his shoes. "Nigga if you break them you buy them."

He wiped an imaginary tear from under his eye. "Damn that's crazy. E it looks like you're gonna have to stay single now boy. I know you mad as hell, I'm glad it ain't me. Mikayla I gotta know what this nigga is like."

She rolled her eyes. "Actually, nosy, you've met her before at the lil pool party."

"HER?" The boys shouted out in confusion. Tyire and I just laughed at their ignorance. Who else would Bonnie have been? It's not everyday you see some random friends rubbing sunscreen on each other and doing PDA. I swear men don't pay any attention to their surroundings. 

her volume lashes lifted up when she rolled her eyes. "Well duh. We literally had matching swimsuits."

They weren't convinced.

"We rode together and left together."

Still nothing.

"Nigga we kissed!" She shouted out throwing a fistful of popcorn at August's head. Her face was screwed up and I could tell she was a little embarrassed with the attention on her and Bonnie's PDA. I had to throw her ass under the bus though. Tyrie and I can't be the only ones getting shit for having somebody in this fucked up dating pool we call a generation. 

They all groaned in frustration. Trell rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm not gonna lie I thought that was like a friend kissed girls sometimes do." Even I scrunched my face up at that. That is not a normal girl thing at all. If two girls are kissing, there's something going on there.

"Nigga what are you talking about? You just think that gay shit common as hell. No girl is just kissing they friends on the mouth like that, they aren't French." Tyrie laughed at him. I could feel his body shaking under my own. We all fell into a spell of laughter. 

"No forreal, how old are we? We too damn grown to be playing that fake gay shit." I giggled out. "We either fucking with each other or we not. I don't understand that whole idea of girls being fake girlfriends as soon as they have one drink. It's no help to the real gay community. you either like coochie or you don't."

Mikayla leaned over to high five me, meaning she felt every word I said. I don't wanna speak over her voice as a gay woman at all, but I've noticed the same weird trends. How are we supposed to make a safe space for every person when there are still some of us using someone else's identity as a party trick?

"Shit I'm with Drake on this issue. Girl if you a lesbian, I am too." August leaned over the coffee table in the middle of the floor to perch himself up right in front of Mikayla. He tried to tickle her from his spot. She kicked his goofy ass right back on his butt. 

"August moveee bruh, you play so damn much." She laughed out. "Alright if I kick her in the face by accident because you want to play don't say shit. Just go to the hospital and get that jaw sew back up my guy."

He brought a small pillow up to his face. He was doing the most pinching his nose and scrunching his face up like he smelled something stank. "Yea you right because I done caught a whiff of them creepy crawlers you call feet. All I'm gonna say is that this little piggy needs a bath." He leaned over to peek at her pedicure. He looked back up at her with a smirk. "And a fresh coat of paint." 

Mikayla and I both gasped out loud. I know she was hot mad, but no one saw that coming. He ate her ass the fuck up. E, Trell, and Ty all let out their own bellying laughs. august was too damn funny for his own good.

Let me get this man the hell out of my house before he starts talking about my aging pedicure too. 

1415 WORDS