Chapter 1

Lovesick

Walking through the doors of school with coffee in her hand, post-traumatic wedding disorder started to fuel up in her body again. The aftermath of the teen wedding that was fetishized by strict Middle-Eastern grandparents. We all know how that would turn out in an All-American sector of the world. Layla thought about the wedding, the wedding between the guy she crushed on and the girl she befriended. Both mean well to her but deep down inside, she's still a little hurt.
"So," Eliza said. "You seem to have the wedding on your mind."
Eliza was Layla's cousin who was only a sophomore but was still invited to the gathering between two 18-year-olds. Layla told everything to Eliza since her other cousin graduated and left the state, heck she left the country.
"Not really," Layla smiled. "I'm honestly happy for them."
"So much for runaway bride, it ended up being the runaway groom."
"They still got married. Nothing can change that. I'm happy for them. Really."
"Sure," Eliza patted her back and drank her milkshake. "I'll see you later?"
"Yep, and haul yourself out please. I need to get out of here ASAP."
It was only the beginning of April and Layla couldn't wait to get out of the hell hole that torments her. As she walked, faces seemed worn out and tired. Some recovering from the worst hangover of a lifetime. She had to recover from lying to her parents about going to a wedding instead of Junior prom with her friend.
"Hey!" Esther walked in from the lot also. "How's it going? Did you go to the wedding for-"
"Yes!" Layla interrupted Esther. "It was quite the joyride. I can't believe you didn't come."
"I didn't really know the groom but I just met the bride recently. Still, it seemed unfitting to show up. Spare me no details!"
"Well.."
Layla started walking Esther to her class and explained the whole debacle that happened the night before. It was all a blur but she remembered how she heard the bride, Cade (short for Catalyst) was pining over a guy she went out with for a while and was convinced her grandfather drove him away. But that was just crazy Bride drunk pining. Layla heard from another guy that the groom had pined over many girls from Arielle, the new potential Miss Marital Discord to Callie, the ex herself, though it was mysterious as to who he pined for the most.
"That's crazy," Esther said. "Thanks for walking me. I'll see you later."
Layla had study hall so she ran down as soon as possible to sign in and sit down. Hoping no one would notice, she put on sunglasses and tied her hair up in an exotic way.
"Hey there," it was Cade who noticed her. "Did you really think you could get away from me?"
Layla gave a troubled laugh and looked down. "I totally wasn't trying to avoid you at all, don't worry."
"Okay," Cade smiled. "I just want to be friends through this all. We all need a friend. Especially when Arielle antagonizes everyone."
"Right. Arielle," Layla nodded.
"Did you know what that bitch said to me? 'Hope he divorces your sorry ass the second you walk down the aisle'. Like what the heck is that supposed to mean?"
"She's just jealous that you have Mel's heart," Layla lied. "Far more jealous than Callie." The past few days, she noticed his name would come out of her mouth at least once. Immediately regretting it.
"The audacity of that mother—" Cade stopped. "I'm not gonna even start today. She even blamed you for this. Of all people.. you! That girl is dumber than nails."
Layla chuckled but had flashbacks of the talk with one of Mel's friends. He was pining over everyone. Despite the fact that she wanted to ignore them, she couldn't stop thinking about it. The more she thought, the more she wanted to run away from the mess.. she can't possibly lie to her friend's face..
"Anyways, let's not have bitter talks," Layla quickly changed the topic. "You're a married lady after all."
"Oh right, you're right," Cade wrapped the flannel around her head. "Did I mention how nice it is not having a cloth all around your head?"
Cade used to wear a hijab to school everyday by customs, which shocked many people because they expected her to dress free-willed rather than act. But now that she was a married woman in America, she felt those customs were too high maintenance. Her curls truly looked too good to be covered. The jet black color only made Layla envious and wanting it for her own.
"Now tell me darling, how do you keep your hair so darn straight," Cade brushed her own. "And you missed a spot here this morning clearly."
"I'll tell you if you tell me where he's taking you on the honeymoon."
"Girl, I've had enough of this. So we're gonna graduate the next two weeks and then we're taking off for Athens. They're well known for not being discriminatory."
"Athens? Aside from allegedly not being prejudice, I'm surprised you didn't go far off into the beauty lands of Japan."
"Japan seems nice but we are Middle-Eastern Asians, there's no need to go there when we can go somewhere Caucasian-esque. Though France is beautiful, they are keeping tight security. The last thing I want is to be patted down for just holding a nice book."
She pulled The Great Gatsby and sighed, "Fitzgerald is honestly a timeless man. Some may argue that Salinger is the best but I stand by Fitzgerald through it all."
Layla continued to fall into an awakening sleep because Cade had gone on a large tangent about how a lot of teachers at the school oughta teach Fitzgerald more than they teach Salinger, not realizing the only timeless book that Layla knew from Fitzgerald was Gatsby.
"Hey," It was Mel who walked to their table and kissed Cade, causing Layla to cringe. "This seat taken?"
Layla wasn't in the mood for Mel, "Ye-"
"Of course not honey, sit," Cade smiled.
"What about Esme?" Layla asked.
"There are other seats, sweetie," Cade showed around. "Esme is taking a Calc quiz, or making it up at least?"
"I can leave if you want," Mel teased.
"Just stay. I'll be right back, Cade," Layla grabbed her cup and went to the Hydration station.
"So," Mel said. "About-"
"Look babe, just shut up from here on out."
Layla turned around and ran back, "What?"
"It's nothing," Mel lowered his head down.
"Layla, I'd appreciate if you left me alone just for a bit. I need some private talk with my husband."
Layla nodded and left, trying to remove the creepy smile Cade gave to her.
"Catalyst, I-"
"Don't call me by my full name, Melbourne. Only I could cause I'm not a shallow dickhead who is willing to step on not one, but two people at a time."
"How exactly am I the dickhead?"
"I know what you did, that stupid crazy white girl we know as Arielle! She's trying to come between us!"
"We cannot have this fight right now, I have a fucking Humanities test next two periods and if you don't shut the-"
"You'll what? Somehow blame me? Cause that didn't stop you from blaming my friends? Apparently Iliana spiked the punch bowl even though she was on her long-term vacation to Colombia and now with Layla? Just to cover up the fact that you cheated on me?"
"I did mumble many names that night of the bachelor party. Your's, Arielle's, maybe even Layla. Definitely her's. I couldn't help it. She got me through Callie."
"Callie is a bitch and she couldn't see what I see. I loved you and supported you-"
"Only because your grandpa forced you to."
"I saw you and the only thing I thought of was man, grandpa did a good job finding this cute guy. Mel, I thought you were better than this. Of all people I believe in, I believed in you. And-"
"Okay," Layla walked back. "I couldn't help it but stay and listen.."
"And were you at the bachelor party? No. Hell, you weren't even at the reception, let alone the party. The party?!"
"Okay, I wasn't at the party. But I-"
"Then tell me, I saw with my very own eyes that he stuck his tip inside that bitch Arielle. Did you see it?"
"No.." Layla started to sweat.
Cade started to fume and Mel shook his head.
"Goodbye, Layla. But Cade is too much for me in the morning."
Cade shook her head and cried. "I know your head has been throbbing but.."
"Yeah," Layla said. "I'm sorry.."
It was too good to be true, Cade wanted to believe that there was no way in her mind that Layla was the other woman. But she suspected and saw with her own eyes that night, Mel was trying to make love to a girl that wasn't her, but two other girls she knew were also.
"I gotta go meet with a teacher," Cade smiled. "See you later."
"All right," Layla arched her back.
"Cade! Hi!" Esme said. "Sorry I couldn't stay long! I heard the cake was good."
"Yeah, it's too bad but hey, glad you're here! I'll see you around."