Chp.29~ Girls for God

Start from the beginning

I leaned my head against the window and felt the cold glass cool down my hot head. She was right, after all I have done, house to house, problem to problem, parents to parents; it was kinda hard seeing me myself with another family that wanted me. I closed my eyes, trying to hold back the tears that threatened to spill, also remembering my favorite foster home with the widowed father and his daughter. All he wanted was for her to have a sibling, but too bad I couldn't deliver that.

"I can't believe that it had come down to this, but," Ms. Younger stayed quiet before starting back up again. I just closed my eyes, waiting for whatever she was going to say. It can't be any worse than what I had already encountered. 

She gave out a heavy sigh. The worry lines that creased in the middle of her forehead evident, "I'm sending you off to Girls for God home in Austin. The women that runs it has helped hundreds of girl who have been struggling emotionally and mentally in the system, I think this is perfect for you." 

I finally opened my eyes and looked up at her, my vision still a bit blurry. 

Girls for God home? "So what? Your placing me in for religious learning?" 

"That is not the point, the point is for you to go and get help with what your feeling. And maybe  this religious thing can benefit you, or make you feel like you can belong somewhere. I just thing you need somewhere fresh to start, and we've already been everywhere in Louisiana and I think going to Texas is-" 

"Perfect for me."  I finished her sentence once again. She nodded giving a small smile. 

"You'll be going to an amazing school, it is one of the highest ranked academies in the country for academics." 

"Academy?" I repeated. 

"Yes, an academy, but you'll love it there, I promise." She assured me. She pulled off the interstate. From what I could tell, we were in Alexandria, my birth home.

"We'll stay here for the night, but in the morning we take the long ride for Texas, alright?" She looked back at me. I nodded my head. Maybe this wasn't going to be as bad. 

***

We spent the night in a hotel right by the interstate. First thing n the morning, we were back on the road heading to Austin, Texas. I had never really lived in a city before, or a group home for that matter, but Ms. Younger had told me about the amazing museums and landmark they had there, even a college. I couldn't lie, I was actually kind of excited to see what Austin had to offer. 

Five fast food restaurants, four gas stations and a butt load of Micheal Jackson music later, we were close to being in Austin. 

"We should be pretty close," Ms. Younger announced. 

"But let me just tell you this," She started, turning down the radio. 

"I have to be completely honest with you Ava, if it doesn't work out here, than I have no choice but to take you to juvenile detention until you turn eighteen." 

She had my full attention after the words left her mouth. "A-Are you serious?" I stuttered. 

I heard terrible stories about people in juvenile detentions, they don't have any privacy, are under strict rules and constantly are being watched over.  It was basically prison for troubling teens. 

"A hundred percent, Ava." She claimed. "If you can't make this work here, than that is the only other option you have, besides being homeless." She said. I have a feeling that people would rather be homeless than there. 

"I thought over it some after you fell asleep and, I would have never ever done this to any of my clients in a million years, but with you Ava, I have to. You have got to learn to make some changes, because if you don't, you'll end up in basically prison for the next three years. So if I were you, I would fake it until you make it." She finished.