Chapter Fourteen

Light snow flurries had begun falling shortly after the lorry had arrived. At two thirty, David headed the Lancia down the lane with Maria at his side and Georg and Rachel snuggled together on the rear seat. After they had turned onto the main road and had driven a kilometre or so along it, Maria said, "At this speed, we'll be early into town?"

"The going is easier than I had expected. But it's better being early than being late. We can look around in the shops. See if there's anything we've forgotten; see what additional we might find for our celebrations."

As they crested a small hill, David paused his commenting on the traction offered by the rope, and he pointed ahead. "Looks like they've slid off the road." He glanced at his watch while he slowed. "We've nearly twenty minutes, and we're only two or three kilometres from Unterhallau. Let's try to get them back onto the road."

After a variety of methods had failed to extract the car, David said to the lone occupant, "We've an appointment in town in a few minutes. We can drive you in if you wish. There is likely more suitable assistance there."

"That's very kind of you. I must be at the Municipal Hall at fifteen hours."

David checked the time as he motioned to the door. "We should be going, then."

After the man had settled in the rear seat, he asked, "What brings you out in these conditions?"

"We have a marriage ceremony in Unterhallau," Rachel replied.

"As do I, and I hope they all make it through this unusual weather."

David stopped the car in front of the Municipal Hall with three minutes to spare, and they all headed up the steps and inside. Rachel went to the counter and asked where the marriages were performed. The clerk pointed across the lobby to the felt-covered table. "Over there, and I see the Registrar has just arrived. He should be ready shortly."

"That was him? The man who came in with us?"

Hearing her acknowledgement, David smiled as he nodded. "Good thing we stopped. His car had taken to the ditch, and we assisted him."

Rachel led the other three across the lobby, and they stood chatting by the table as the Registrar examined papers in a folder. After a short while, he looked up. "Bear with me a while longer. I prefer to save time and read the formalities to all parties at once." He chuckled. "It saves my voice."

Five minutes later, he said. "It appears only one party has made it, and I'll not keep you waiting. Have you your copy of the application?"

Rachel opened her pouch and pulled them out. "I've them both here."

The Registrar looked askance at her. "You're both getting married? I thought you were the witnesses for these young ones." He checked the papers in his folder. "So, you're acting as each other's witnesses." He shrugged as he laughed. "We're all here, then."

Six minutes later, once the ceremonies had been completed and the documents and register had been signed and witnessed, the Registrar shook their hands and introduced himself as Herr Grünmann, then pointing to the register, he said, "Sonnenhang. That's a delightful place. It's a relief to see all the work on restoring it these past months. We were saddened to see it decline over the years."

He turned to David. "Thank you for stopping to assist."

"We couldn't just drive by and ignore you, no matter how pressing our agenda. But now we've finished here, we can help you with your car. We've a horse at the estate, and we can —"

"Thank you, no. There is no need for that. I'll have one of the Municipal trucks haul me out." He smiled at them. Besides, you have other things to do at the moment." He chuckled. "Go on, and don't forget to pause and celebrate Christmas."

After they had wished him a fine Christmas, they left. The snow had continued falling while they were inside, and the car had acquired a centimetre or so of cover. Once they had settled in and begun their return trip, Rachel asked Maria, "So Sweetheart, how does it feel to be married?"

"The same as it has for months." Maria giggled. "We married each other in May, and this adds nothing but a bit of ink." She was quiet for a while, then she turned and looked at her mother. "And you. What does it feel like to be married again?"

Rachel thought a few moments, then laughed. "The only difference I can see is we won't have to sneak into each other's rooms anymore." They all laughed, then carried on a light banter as David drove them back toward Sonnenhang.

As they passed the lane up to Meierhof, David pointed to the fresh horse and carriage tracks. "Looks like Oma and Opa have headed over. We may catch them up along the way."

When David turned into the lane leading up to Sonnenhang, Rachel asked the time, and when she was told, she said, "Great, we still have thirty-five minutes before it begins. Plenty of time to change into our finery."

Maria laughed. "This is so funny; wearing ordinary clothes for the wedding, then dressing up after. It's so backwards to the fairytales."

"I think the real ceremony is with our friends and family," David said. "What we've done in town is nothing but the legal details and the paperwork."