Chapter Forty-Three

Warning: Has not been edited

Avalon

The next several weeks passed by in a blur.

School had been hectic with everyone trying to boost their grades and prepare for finals for the first semester. Christmas break gaining on us quickly; taunting us with its presence.

Sin and I also had also been preparing for auditions within the next coming weeks.

It was crazy.

Thankfully, I had taken my finals and exempted, meaning I was out of school earlier than other students. Sin as well had exempted. Tris, Clay and Justin however, were not as lucky.

"Ugh! I can't believe this! One question! ONE question, Avalon! I don't understand why Mr. Conch couldn't just round up the grade on my final so I wouldn't have to go back! I passed everything else and now, because of one missed question, I have to sit there half a day in that boring prison!" Tris exclaimed.

"I told you to join my study group! But noooooooo, Tris McDowell doesn't do study groups," I teased as I sipped my coffee. We were currently sitting inside the small local Starbucks, finally getting some quality time together. Ever since the boys had joined our duo, we haven't seen very much of each other sadly. 

"Exactly!" She said tossing her hands in the air- completely oblivious to my sarcasm. "I don't! Unless there are cute boys and booze."

I giggled at her expressions.

"Anyways, how are you? We have a lot to catch up on. I've missed you Ave's," Tris pouted.

I sighed. "I know. I've missed you too."

She took a sip of her drink slowly before taking on a serious expression. "It's like, ever since Sin came to town you've been completely withdrawn. Then with the accident and your condition... You're not the same anymore. I miss my overly bubbly, sarcastic, sun shining Avalon."

I blushed briefly at Sin's name. We haven't told anyone we were dating. Not even our friends- and trust me... It's hard to keep a secret this big from a bunch of brown Noser's like them.

I haven't been completely out of it, had I? I mean, yeah, I lost myself a little but I'll slowly start to find my way back. Right? Right. I constantly tell Sin I'm okay when in reality I'm still very far from it. I don't want to worry him anymore- he's done enough of that already. Everyone is. Then with the already stressful enough situation with my heart, it's like I can't catch a break.

Sin helps. But not as much as he thinks. He hopes I will just wake up one morning and be all daisies and dandelions, but that isn't how it works. No matter how badly I wish it was.

"I do too," I whispered.

"What's up, chick-a-dees?!" A loud voice broke through our conversation.

I look up to see Clay with a neon bright smile on his face and a scowling Justin behind him.

I smiled lightly at Clay as he approached our table. His brown hair was slightly dishelved but his green eyes shined brightly. The dark green flannel under a dark jean jacket brought out the golden flecks in his eyes. His dark washed jeans hung low on his hips and a pair of black army boots adorned his feet.

I turn to Justin to already see him glaring holes in my head. I frown at him as I remember the awful things he said. Sure, some of it was right and I deserved it for my equally awful behavior, but still.

I stood from my spot, a determined look on my face as I approached him.

"We need to talk," was all I said. I walked away and into the little lounging section with couches and a table. I briskly turned around and motioned for him to sit. He didn't.

"What?" He snapped.

I took a deep breath. Here goes nothing...

"Look, I'm sorry."

To say Justin looked baffled would be an understatement. His eyes were wide for a millisecond before he expertly covered it up and his eyes grew hard.

"Why are you apologizing to me? You did nothing to me other than play my best friend, you should apologize to him," Justin grit out.

"I already have and we've made amends. But I wanted to apologize to you too. I wasn't in the correct state of mind a lot this semester and I know it's not an excuse. I wanted to say I was sorry that I made you think I completely disregarded Sin's feelings for me. To be honest, I didn't know what you were talking about when you said he liked me. I thought you may have been thinking of someone else. I mean, he bullied me for years, that's not something someone can just... Accept and believe. I was too caught up in my own little personal soap opera to look around and see it. And for that, I am sorry," I took a deep breath, gaging his reaction. His expression remained hard and blank as he concentrated on his shoes.

He sighed and sat down.

"I'm sorry too. It was out of line for me to talk to you like that. I should have let it be and let you guys figure it out for yourselves," it was my turn to be stunned. I never thought he'd apologize to me.

I smiled at him lightly and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"It's okay. You were just looking out for your friend. I would have done the same thing. Sin and I... We're okay now," I blush.

He looks at me as if trying to calculate a math problem before the light above his head finally goes off. His eyes widen slightly.

"You.... You're together, aren't you?"

I smile and blush deeper. No use in denying it, he will see right through it.
I nod my head sheepishly.

He remains quiet other than mumbling an 'about damn time.'

"Do Tris and Clay know?" He asked.

I shook my head no.

"You might want to tell them. They're your friends too."

"Oh, so we're friends now?" I tease with a smile.

He gives me a smile back and lightly shoves me, "Come on, before Tris has my head."

We all stayed at the table and joked around. Even Justin joined in. 

That night... It was memorable. We all bonded and formed an even stronger friendship than before.

And for once, I was happy I let other people in- even Sin.

But I didn't realize it would be my last bout of true happiness for while.