Chapter 46

I sit down at our table in the cafeteria, trying to figure myself out. It's been a long day. Daphne kept glancing back at me in Economics and Jana kept texting me about Watts' cousin James, saying that he asked her to be his girlfriend. She said yes and then continued to talk about it. I'm happy for her, but how can I smile over Love if the person I love hates me?

I don't know what Love feels like, but if it doesn't feel like this, then it will be a disappointment.

How can I not love Daniel? He's amazing in every way. He makes my heart race by simply thinking about him. He accepts me, every part of me, and I lost him. I let him slip through my fingers. I used to wonder if Daniel loves me, and now I'm wondering the opposite. Could he love me? I don't know. Maybe I just fall in Love easily.

He's angry with me, I know that.

"Hey, where's Daniel?" Jana catches my attention as she sits down beside me with Taylor. "I saw him earlier, but he just ignored me. Did something happen Saturday night?"

"Oh, no," I mumble. "I don't know why he'd ignore you. Maybe he didn't hear you or something."

"Really? I walked right up to him and asked how you were, but he just walked away."

"Oh, weird. I don't know."

"He's probably at the track anyway," she shrugs, "maybe you should go check on him. He seems a little off today."

I glance up at her and smile, the feeling of it making me uneasy. "I'm sure he's fine."

Taylor and Jana look to each other. "Something definitely happened."

"Nothing happened. I'm serious," I lie, not wanting to explain to my best friend how I may be leaving in front of the entire school. Jana is sure to make a scene.

"Well, then did you guys make up?"

I run my hand through my hair, clearing the slipping strands from my face. "Uh, yeah, sure. Can we stop talking about me now? Tell me more about James."

I sit quietly and listen to Jana gush, which brings me down but is better than talking about Daniel. I last another twenty minutes before coming up with an excuse to go see him, saying that I forgot about the test I promised to make up. I leave the cafeteria and head to my locker first, exchanging my books so I don't have to worry about it later. Pulling out my Economics and English books, I slide them on the middle shelf and reach for my math textbook. Footsteps sound from down the hall, but I don't think anything of it until his voice grabs me, laughing.

I stop and hide behind my locker door, praying that Harrison doesn't notice me. Half of my head is in the locker and I squeeze my eyes shut.

"Hey, Hailey," he says, draping his arm on my locker door. He motions for the friend he was walking with to carry on. "I'll meet you in the cafeteria."

My throat swells as I quickly shove my math book into my bag, zipping it up and turning to walk away, but Harrison brings his other arm across me, pressing his hand against the closed locker beside mine. I fall into the corner of my door and shelving, staring at his arm like a wall between me and safety. He's closed me in.

"We could have worked together, but no..." he says, not fazed by my discomfort, or maybe he enjoys it. "Then you search my room during a party? Who do you think you are, Hailey?"

His hand leaves the locker and he brings it up to my face, causing me to flinch, but instead of doing as I thought, he lightly drags his finger under my chin and gets a grip. He lowers his lips to my ear. "What are you going to do, Hailey? Nothing."

And just when my eyes begin to water and I assume he's going to let go, he abruptly kisses my cheek then sets me free. I watch, frozen, as he walks away, waving at me before spinning around and turning the corner.