Chapter 18

Together, curled up on the couch, all five of us watch one of the many horror movies brought by Taylor

Together, curled up on the couch, all five of us watch one of the many horror movies brought by Taylor. Hush, is the first of many, and I don't find it frightening at all, but I still enjoy it. The main character gives me some confidence. If she can survive that with her struggles, then I sure as hell can conquer mine. 

Throughout the movie I find myself glancing over at Daniel, who happens to be sat at the opposite end of the couch. Is he trying to avoid me? Did he finally find out what everyone is whispering about? He sat up front, I was in the way back, I sit on one end of the couch, he sits on the other. Maybe I am thinking too far into it. Maybe he is trying to avoid me. Maybe—

"Hailey?" Jana pulls me back to reality and my eyes fall upon the rolling credits. "Taylor and Jordan are going on a walk, Daniel is going to bed, so what do you want to do?"

I can hear it in her voice, she wants me to mention the hot tub. "What if Jordan and Taylor—"

"They won't. I'm leaving the front door unlocked for them so they won't see you in the back."

"What if they want to come out and join us when they get back?" I question.

She smiles. "Oh, trust me, they'll be doing something else."

My face scrunched up and I get up from the couch, my mind conjuring terrible images of it. "God, Jana. How the heck do you know—"

"Taylor talked to me about it," she shrugs. "Just girl-talk."

Girl-talk. I don't remember it being so sexual, then again the last time I really had honest girl-talk was before the incident. I suppose it comes with age. Does Jana want to talk about these things with me? She knows she can't, she won't want to upset me. What other friendship things am I withholding?

"So?" She asks, hopeful.

My fists ball up, urging me to do it. I need Jana's friendship. "Okay," I breathe out, already regretting it.  "You have the one piece?"

Standing in the bathroom, staring into the mirror, I yank the suit on and take deep breaths. This will be good for me, conquering my fear, even if it feels like someone's hands are wrapped around my neck. Jana is waiting for me in the hall, so I pick up the beach towel and cover myself as if I have just gotten out of the shower. She smiles at the sight of me.

My eyes wander down the hall to the master bedroom doors, both closed with a dim strip of light at the bottom. I wonder what he is doing.

"Come on, I got everything ready." Jana leads me to the hot tub which is on a large porch in the backyard area. Outside, the moon is hidden behind the house and there are many more stars to view. The trees seem to blend together, giving our surroundings a creepy look, making me think back to the movie. "Do you want me to turn around?"

I look back to Jana, then to the beach towel around me. "I don't know. It's fine. You don't have to."

She nods and simply climbs into the bubbling water. I smile and take a moment to hype myself up.