Chapter 38

After dealing with my mother yesterday, and dealing with my thoughts on Daniel, school is the last place I want to be

After dealing with my mother yesterday, and dealing with my thoughts on Daniel, school is the last place I want to be. Dodging annoying people who stand in the middle of the hall, I grasp onto my locker and tensely open it up. My mother yelled, yelled some more, then finally accepted my lie about being at Jana's—my excuse being that I forgot to let her know.

Inside my locker is another note.

With my bad attitude, I frown while unfolding it and read what it has to say. Please, Room 1244 at lunch. It really is important!

Maybe they should have shown up the first time then. Tossing the note into my locker, I swing the door shut and head off to my first hour.

After getting settled in my seat, I grumpily wait for the bell to ring so I can get today over with. As usual, Daphne enters with her friend in the class, a girl I think is named Carla. They split up to take their seats, and surprisingly, Daphne turns to me once she's in hers.

"So, you know Daniel?" She asks, not sounding evil.

Confused, my brows knit together. "You see that I sit with him at lunch every day?" Obviously, I am not going to tell her that we sometimes kiss and that we might be something—whatever that may be.

"So you're friends?"

Why the hell should I tell you? "Uh, yeah."

"Just friends?" She clarifies, and my stomach grows heavy, ready to drop. "Right?"

I swallow, wanting to pounce on her and claw at her face. "Yeah," I breathe out. "Why?"

She smiles that doll smile I despise—which is especially infuriating with my head all jumbled. I already have too much to deal with, Daphne cannot hop onto the pile. "I was just wondering," she says, knowing that my nerves are feeling toyed with.

After our kiss in his car, I left rather abruptly, scared of my mental comparison of him to Mr. Russ. Daniel is not Mr. Russ. In every way, Daniel is better than him, but even the slightest touch can cause two completely different people to seem quite similar. It scared me. I couldn't do this to myself—not with Daniel. Not with someone I truly care for.

I begged God. I got down on my knees and begged to react normally with Daniel. I mumbled on about how it would just be this once, please, oh please, not him. I know he wouldn't hurt me. I know that.

I can't face him, not today, not with this mood.

During lunch, I ditch the cafeteria and wander down the hall, not sure what to do. When I think back to the note, I roll my eyes. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, right? I groan and turn back towards room 1244. When I peek through the small window on the door, I notice that the light is on this time. With not much to lose, I open the door and glance inside.

Oddly enough, there is a lanky, short boy inside, hair tamed underneath a baseball cap. He is sitting on top of a desk and fiddling with something in his hands. When I enter, he glances up, looking a bit surprised. "Y-You came," he mutters then quickly straightens up. "Uh, sorry. I'm Samuel, Sam for short."