Chapter 32

Instead of talking about my moment with Daniel last night, Jana and I talk about James, her latest endeavor

   Instead of talking about my moment with Daniel last night, Jana and I talk about James, her latest endeavor. Apparently she spoke with him at Watts' last night after I left, and apparently, she likes him a lot.

"I like him a lot," Jana gushes, "he's too perfect, it's a little scary. The only down part is that he doesn't live here, he's Watts' cousin visiting from California. I should've known. Of course someone so beautiful is from California."

"Well, how long is he staying?"

We reach my locker, and I obliviously open it and grab my books listening to Jana talk. It is just before I close it, that I notice the small, white, folded piece of paper as it flutters to the floor, knocked off the shelf by my rearranging. I bend down and snatch it up, opening it as Jana rambles on.

I have proof. If you want to talk, meet me in room 1244 during lunch.

My eyes widen and my hands grip the paper tightly. "Jana," I interrupt, but she continues on, "Jana."

This time she stops. "What?" I hand her the paper and watch as her face suddenly drops. "Holy mother of God. You don't think—"

"That this person is telling the truth? I don't know." I take the paper back and read it over and over again. "What if it was meant for someone else? Or if they're not talking about what we think they're talking about?"

"Or if it's all a practical joke?" Jana suggests and I crumple up the paper and toss it back into my locker, swinging the door shut. "Sorry. The kids here are cruel."

"No, it's my fault. For some reason, I got excited about it as if there could actually be proof. No one could have seen anything."

We walk together into the cafeteria. I can't help but glance over at Harrison's table, and thankfully he's not there, yet. Oddly enough, Daniel is already at our table with Jordan and Taylor. I assumed he would be at the track instead since that's been his frequent spot lately. We approach and sit down, and I feel his eyes on me. To my benefit, the spot next to him is open.

  When I look up, Taylor is glancing between us, clearly excited by something. Jordan seems to be normal, though. "You missed a fun party. Jana and this guy James were chatting it up," she says.

  "Oh, I've heard," I smile.

  "Where did you go? Last I saw was you two driving off somewhere."

   I hold back my blush. "I just went home. I wasn't feeling well."

"You're better now?"

I nod. "Yeah, I'm fine."

As she continues to study me, I give Taylor a look, telling her to stop. It's obvious that she knows now, it wasn't difficult to figure out, but I'm more curious about who else knows. Not Jordan, Jana knows, of course, so does Taylor, Watts might know along with everyone else who witnessed our dramatic scene at the party. That's more people than I would like.