32: Protection

Adalwolf Zimmerman

(April 1940)

I leaned against the wall as I watch them drown one of the new guys. There was official four gay guys in the camp and we all tried to watch out for each other. Jack's fingers brushed over my wrist and I smiled at him.

"Why are you smiling?" one of the soldiers asked. I looked up at him and swallowed.

"I am remembering how far I've come and how I really believe that I will be okay," I said. The soldier nodded but I smirked. "Because I've survived another day with guys and thank the Lord my standards haven't fallen for men." It got me a slap and I closed my eyes trying not to show weakness.

"Leave them in here. No one wants to see them anyways," one of the soldiers said as they left the room.

"You are going to get yourself killed," Jack said as the four of us moved to sit in a circle.

"Can you just think about what you are doing before you do it, please?" the eldest of the four of us - Benny - asked. I shrugged as I got the ropes off my wrists. Something I have practiced a lot in the prior months.

"He is going to get all of us killed," Chris - the fourth one - said and I walked over to the water.

"No, I am not," I said and Jack gave me a look.

"They will think that we untied you," Jack said as I washed my face off.

"Remember, they think I am the Devil since I made Jack go gay," I said and Jack sighed. I never let him live that down since we all knew that the soldiers went harder on me.

"Adalwolf, you have your brother that they all respect and know that he would kill them if you died," Chris said as I sat back down. I drew on my leg and took a deep breath.

"I wish my brother could protect me. He won't know until it is too late," I said as I laid back.

Alia Zimmerman

(December 1944)

I laid next to Alaric, out of breath. He looked amazing in his suit but even better in our bed with his clothes off. I pulled the blanket up to my shoulder as I laid on his chest.

"Merry Christmas, Alaric," I said as he rubbed my back.

"Merry Christmas, Alia," he said as he closed his eyes. I drew on his shoulder that had a bullet wound scar on it.

"I love you," I told him and he smiled at me, opening his eyes.

"I love you as well, Alia," he said and I smiled at him.

"You are amazing," I said. He smirked and he kissed my forehead.

"I am glad you think that," he said and I looked around our small apartment bedroom.

"I love our little home," I said and he rubbed my back.

"I love that my wife loves the apartment that we bought," he said and I laughed.

"Do you want to have children?" I blurted and he smiled.

"Of course," he said and I cuddled closer to him.

Adeline Zimmerman

(December 1943)

"You got her pregnant!" Alaric yelled at Wilson as he pushed him. Wilson grabbed the table as I grabbed Alaric's arm.

"Alaric, stop!" I yelled and he looked at me.

"Adeline, do you understand the problem here?" Alaric asked.

"Of course I do but Wilson is going to take care of me. I promise," I told him and he kissed my forehead.

"Fine," he said before pushing Wilson up against the wall, "You abandon her, I will make sure that this is your last child." Wilson swallowed.

(December 1944)

"From teacher to sister-in-law," I told Alia as she took little Tessa. Wilson watched as Alia carried our little angel that has kept us awake but it was my brother's wedding and I wasn't going to miss it just because we were tired.

"Well, I remember when you two were trying to impress each other with articulation," Alia said. Wilson rubbed his neck and I laughed.

"You know, if it wasn't for you, we wouldn't be together," Wilson said.

"Eric and Sam say that you two do amazing," Alia said as Tessa started falling asleep.

"We try and we had a good teacher," I said as I took my angel back.

"Your brother is concerned about all us doing this but I think that we need to start worrying about him with the United States entering and Germany being pushed back already," Alia told us in English. We looked at Alaric who was talking to his friends.

"I got him passage to America as well. But I am scared Alaric won't come with us," I said as Wilson rubbed my shoulders.

"Leave him to me," Alia said as she floated to my brother.

Alaric Zimmerman

(December 1944)

"So if Germany loses, we have passage to America because my sister, her fiancé and you have been spying for them," I said as Alia sat on my lap.

"That was the deal that we made in order to keep you and Adalwolf safe. We are already searching for him to get him out of here," Alia told me. I rubbed my face.

"I am an Assistant Commander in the German Army, Alia. Why do I have a feeling that America is the best place for us to go?" I asked.

"Well, I propose that we will probably get kill here if we stay," she said, "And you have been the source of our information so they might extend the same honour and respect we are getting."

"I will trust you, Alia," I said and she hugged me.

"I promise that America will be the best thing that we can do for our family," she said.

"You can't tell a soul. If we have to leave, we will leave in the night to make sure that no one can stop us," I said and she nodded.