26: Sickness

(December 1939)

I sat on Jack's couch and watched as he moved around the kitchen. I was always tired as well. Probably from the lack of food.

"I swear it is in here," he said and I looked at him.

"What is?" I asked and he gave me a look of pure challenge as to try getting him to tell me. I just laid on the couch and watched him.

"Adalwolf," Jack whispered and I opened my eyes to his concerned face looking at me.

"Hm?" I asked as I watched him kneel in front of me. He touched my forehead.

"You are burning up," he said and I closed my eyes again. "I should get the doctor." I was too weak to open my eyes.

"Doctor Mengele, thank you for coming at such a short notice. He came to speak to me about something then passed out," Jack told someone as he walked back into the room.

"Did you check his temperature?" another male voice said. I tried to open my eyes.

"He is hot to the touch but he keeps shivering," Jack said. "I thought he would be better here than out there freezing."

"That was a very good call, Officer," the male said. Oh, that must be Doctor Mengele. "Let me take a look at the boy." I forced my eyes open and looked at the doctor that was looking at me with his full attention.

"What's going on?" I asked, hoarsely. Doctor Mengele smiled a little as I talked.

"I'm going to see what is wrong with you," Doctor Mengele said. I moved away.

"No," I whispered. Jack looked at me then Doctor Mengele.

"Doctor Mengele will take care of you," Jack said.

"I don't want you touching me. Call my brother. He is a pre-med student," I whispered. They looked at each other.

"What's your brother's name?" Doctor Mengele asked.

Alaric Zimmerman

(December 1939)

I followed two soldiers to a building that looked pretty nice compared to the other buildings. They had called this a prisoner compound and yet I didn't understand why when all I saw was Jews.

"Why am I here?" I asked as we walked in.

"Your brother," one of the soldiers said and I stopped. Adalwolf. He was there?

"What is wrong with my brother?" I asked. I knew Alia had told me that the soldiers had found out that my brother was gay and I never thought that they would be able to bring me to him.

"Other than he is gay? Your brother won't let anyone but you touch to him," the soldier on the left said. The soldier on the right laughed.

"You would think that these gay boys would want all the attention they can get but they just don't want people touching them," the soldier on the right said. I resisted the urge to punch them as they laughed and nearly ran to Adalwolf as I saw him curled up on the couch, pale and shivering in blankets.

"Adalwolf," I said as I walked to him. He barely opened his eyes and I pressed my hand to his forehead. He was burning.

"Alaric, I want to die," he whined and I knelt next to the couch.

"Now you and I both know that that's not true. What about Adeline?" I asked and he made a small sound. Once I grew accustomed to when either of us or Adeline were sick. The sound of just let me die in peace. I am pretty sure that we got that from one of our parents. Probably from our dad.

"Private Zimmerman," a man said and I stood up to look at the older man. "I am Doctor Mengele."

"Doctor Mengele, may I ask what is wrong with my brother?" I asked.

"We are hoping that you can tell us. He won't let us touch him," he said.

"You idiot, he is a doctor," I said, looking at Adalwolf. The look he gave Doctor Mengele was a look of pure hatred and fear.

"Make them leave," Adalwolf said as he turned away. I looked at Doctor Mengele and he nodded before leading the way out of the room for all the other soldiers.

"Adalwolf, what is wrong with you?" I asked as he turned back to face me. He looked around the room.

"Jack? Where is Jack?" he asked me. I touched his face as he moved around.

"Stop. Let me look at you," I said and he stopped. I took in the thinness and trembling that my brother was showing. "What are they doing to you?" I asked.

"They starve us and I watched people get beaten by the soldiers and they kill people and burn their bodies. I had to burn bodies for two days," he whispered, "Jack keeps me safe." I walked to the door.

"Who is Jack?" I asked the group outside. One soldier raised his hand and I pointed at him. "Come with me." He followed me and I returned to my brother's side.

"How can I help?" Jack asked as I moved the small amount of hair that Adalwolf had.

"How long?" I asked, softly. Adalwolf looked at Jack and I sighed as I realised that their relationship was something that neither really knew what either of them were.

"October, I think, what month is it?" Adalwolf asked softly. And that's when I got angry.

"What are you doing to them?" I demanded from Jack as I stood and looked at him. Jack took a step back.

"Jack isn't doing anything to us," Adalwolf said but Jack and I continued staring at each other.

"The SS Officers are controlling the whole thing. We are told to keep the strong and take out the weaker people. We are also told to eliminate women with young children," Jack said. I looked at my brother and he was slowly closing his eyes.

"I feel God," Adalwolf whispered. I went back to Adalwolf's side.

"Get me a cold wet cloth," I told Jack.