5: Nicknames

"You're breaking up with me because I am serving our country?" I asked. Isabella nodded and I stared at her like she was mental.

"I love you but I can't deal with the pain of if something was to happen to you," she said. As she grabbed Abe's hand.

"Are you two..?" I started.

"Our marriage is something that is required by our parents if you two were to break up," Abe said. It was the day that I was being shipped to the front. I was being sent to the edge of the France.

"You can go screw yourselves. Oh wait, you have each other for that," I said as I turned away from them and headed to my family.

"You be careful. I already lost one brother," Adeline told me. I nodded. It had been three days since Adalwolf left and my family didn't know what to think.

"You aren't losing me. And Mother, I will write you everyday and will expect a response," I said. Mother hugged me and I nodded at Father.

"Alaric Zimmerman!" a SS Officer yelled and I straightened out my uniform before walking over. I glanced back once and shook my head.

"Zimmerman," I said. The officer nodded and gestured for me to go to a group of men. I swallowed, seeing they were all at least twice my size. I walked over and tried to look bigger than I was.

"Zimmerman?" one of the guys asked.

"Yes, sir," I said. He looked me over and smiled.

"Well, welcome to our small group. I'm Kipling, and those are Butch, Boom, and Barrel. And I can't forget our leader, Booya," the guy, Kipling, said as he pointed to each guy.

"Kipling forgets to mention that those are nicknames and get in the plane guys," Booya told us and Butch led the way up on the plane. I followed with my pack on my back and sat in the seat that Booya nodded towards.

"So, Zimmerman, I take it that you are drafted in?" Boom asked as the plane started up.

"Yeah, what gave that away?" I asked. He laughed.

"Don't worry. We got you the whole way through," he said as he leaned back.

"You don't even know me," I told him. He looked at me.

"You have a point but it's what you do when you are in the army together. You cover each other," he said. I nodded and held on to the straps that were suppose to keep us in the seats.

"Trust me, Zimmerman, when Boom tell you that we got you, we got you. We got to make sure you see that little sister of yours again," Barrel said. I smiled at the thought of Adeline and nodded.

"And I'll try the I can hardest to get your backs," I said as I settled in for the ride.

***

"I thought that we were going to join a larger group," I said as Booya led the way through a French and German forest.

"If they ask us to, otherwise we sneak around and get into small fights," Butch said.

"Plus we got to meet up with Patch, Lemon, Rat, Gen, and Orange," Kipling said as he walked next to me.

"Kipling!" someone yelled as they tackled Kipling. I jumped, a scream caught in my throat. Thank God that I didn't scream because everyone else was laughing.

"Well, Rat, how nice is it for you to show up," Kipling said as he sat up.

"Well, we got the draftee," Rat said as five more guys came through the brush.

"And we got Zimmerman here," Kipling said as he took my arm to stand up. I nodded.

"Well, isn't he a tiny little thing?" one of the new guys that showed up said.

"Shut it, Patch. Maybe a small guy can be easy to slip in places," another guy said.

"Well, Gen, that just puts him as road kill," Patch said.

"Maybe I should you as shield then," I piped up. All the guys looked at me and I held my ground.

"Oh really?" Patch asked. "Small Aryans are not that useful." He went to punch my face and, using what I always used on Abe, I grabbed his arm and flipped him over me so he was on his back.

"Want to rethink that statement?" I asked as I turned around to face him. Patch started laughing.

"Well, Tiny, I pull that shit with everyone to see how they are and you, my friend, are tough," he said as he stood. He offered his hand and I shook it.

"Lemon, Orange, who is the new guy?" Booya asked.

"This is Engel," one of the still unknown guys said.

"Orange. Real name?" Barrel asked. The guy that spoke looked the other draftee.

"Engel," Orange said as he studied the other draftee.

"Orange isn't joking," Lemon said. I smiled at the other draftee and he nodded.

"We need to set up a camp," Booya said as he started walking forward.

"Come on, Tiny, you are walking with us," Kipling said as he and Rat got either side of me.

"Is my nickname really going to be Tiny?" I asked as we walked. Rat and Kipling started laughing.

"It's fitting," Rat said and I sighed.

***

We set up a camp a few miles from where we met and I sat down to write Mother a letter.

10 September 1939

Dearest Mother,

I have made it to France with no problems. I am unsure how often we are actually able to set and receive mail but I keep my promises. The men I am with are really interesting and they already gave me a nickname. Tiny, since I am the smallest one here.

I am fine and already miss home and your cooking. Tell Father hello for me and give Adeline a kiss for me.

From,

Alaric Zimmerman

I sighed and folded the letter. I pulled out an envelope and put the letter inside.

"Tiny, you already have mail to send?" Orange asked. I nodded as I wrote my mother's name and the address.

"I promised my mother that I would write everyday," I said and he laughed. He took it and nodded as he walked away. I sat there and enjoyed the sun sinking below the trees.